cannot get 10 gallons to boil...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burninmules

Reaction score
This boil will not get started! It has been stuck at 192 forever it seems. I am getting tired. I have a 155btu banjo burner. I have only done one 10 gallon batch before but it worked fine. Any suggestions? Does anybody else ever have this problem?

If the windscreen doesn't work, try covering the pot until it reaches a boil. Do not leave it covered once the boil starts.

If the wind block doesn't work: Remove some water. Get that to boil. Add the rest of your water.

that burner should boil 10 gallons no problem. If windscreen doesnt work, check to make sure your flame is set correctly. It should be blue, set between "jumping off the burner" and "yellow flames". Is the burner noisy like a jet engine or is it quiet? Should be nice and quiet.

I can cover it until it boils? I never knew that. I will try that now. This is killing me...

Okay I have it covered now plus I switched my propane tank. The other one must have been getting low cuz I have a much higher flame now. Thank you for the quick responses you guys are the best.

One thing I have run into with the propane tanks is that you must open the tank valve first before opening any other valve in the system that allows fuel to flow. There is a safety valve within the tank valve that must see pressure on both sides of the valves and no flow before it will allow full fuel flow. Otherwise, if you turn the tank valve on after you have already turned on flow of fuel out of the burner, it will limit the flow substantially, or may not flow at all.

If you open a tank valve to fast you will hear a little pop. This is the sound of the safety valve going off and you will have limited pressure. You will have to turn it off and restart the process. Just remember to ease the valve open on your propane tanks.... :mug:

Cruzn4aBrewzn said:
If you open a tank valve to fast you will hear a little pop. This is the sound of the safety valve going off and you will have limited pressure. You will have to turn it off and restart the process. Just remember to ease the valve open on your propane tanks.... :mug:

I did not know that. Thanks for the tip.

Back