Canning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFoodScientist

Reaction score
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've been here, been busy with house projects.

So I see there's a lot more options for canning that there weren't a couple of years ago.

I want to try it out, but I don't want to jump lay out several hundred dollars for a seamer. I see a couple hand seamers on Amazon and eBay, but they don't look specific to beer cans. Had anyone ever tried one. I've used food can seamers before when I was in college as part of my degree, but I don't remember if they were size specific.

I researched it a few years back, and I think I remember they are size specific, but don't hold me to that. You'd think someone would come out with a hand seamer for homebrewers.

Thanks for the reply. I think you're right, and that's what I was afraid of.
When I was in college, we did a fundraiser for the food science club around Valentine's day where we sold canned Valentines. You bring whatever you can fit in either a #10 can or standard grocery store canned veggies size and we provide the can and seal it for you. Your significant other needs a can opener to get to their chocolates and what not, but it's a quirky gag gift. Doing the two sizes, I don't remember if we had two different seamers, seems like maybe that was the case.
Hmmm... Now you've got me thinking I need to engineer something and put it out there to market. I think it would eliminate a barrier to entry to canning for a lot of homebrewers who aren't sure if they want to drop a couple Benjamin's on a seamer when a bench capper and thousands of quality crowns can be had at that rate.
The only problem there is that I'm not an engineer.

Did you buy one? I’ve got the itch to buy a seamer. I like the idea of getting rid of glass and the 4 pack/6 pack carriers are simple and make the labels front and center. We could split one! :cool::rock:

Latest posts

Back