Canadian Supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortbeard

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Canucks,

Quick Question: Where are people getting their supplies from especially nutrients like go ferm, Fermaid k or o, DAP? Also biab supplies?

Thanks all.

Subscribed. Will be moving to Orangeville, Ontario in the near future and will be looking for a good online supplier. Ordered once from OBK and was very satisfied.

I do not BIAB, but OBK is the way to go... Remember to log into your account before you order and you get points that can be redeemed towards future orders.

Thread is a little old now but I'll chime in anyway. Shortfingerbrewing is a great place to go if you can stop in. Shipping can get a little pricey but Rob's prices are spot on and sometimes better than Patrick (OBK) I've been making the switch over with the exception of things that can't be bought at Shortfinger or prices don't align. Rob will also order in anything you may need if you fire him an email like he's done ne for me a few times now.

A couple of sources, Short Finger Brewing in Kitchener, ON is about 15 minutes from me, and Home Brew Supplies.ca which is in Brampton. Short Finger is good, their stuff isn't always the cheapest but the guy who runs the place is a really nice guy who gives you what you order. I found some of the grains from Home Brew Supplies were less than the weights that I had ordered, and everything was by the pound. Short Finger Brewing didn't short change me, that's for sure. Not sure if they do delivery but you can order online from them, good selection for making most beers, especially common grains. You have to go to places like Home Brew Supplies or Ontario Brew Keg for less common items, especially yeast. I just like supporting local business if I can.

Thread is a little old now but I'll chime in anyway. Shortfingerbrewing is a great place to go if you can stop in. Shipping can get a little pricey but Rob's prices are spot on and sometimes better than Patrick (OBK) I've been making the switch over with the exception of things that can't be bought at Shortfinger or prices don't align. Rob will also order in anything you may need if you fire him an email like he's done ne for me a few times now.

Looks like I am not the only one on here in the area then! I am a homebrew newbie but I went to Shortfinger for most of my supplies thus far. Kamil Juices in Guelph is OK but their prices for ingredients are more than Short Finger, OBK or HBS, not to mention their yeasts and hops rotate seasonally.

Are you from Guelph? I lived in Guelph until a year ago. Check out Discovering wine and Beer on Speedvale. He's got the best price for bulk grains and a decent supply of Hops

Are you from Guelph? I lived in Guelph until a year ago. Check out Discovering wine and Beer on Speedvale. He's got the best price for bulk grains and a decent supply of Hops

I used to live there, and coincidentally moved almost a year ago. I live near Breslau now. I work in the north end of Guelph however, so I will check that place out.

I have been getting my hops from Chilliwack Hop Farms lately. They grow some exceptional hops. Great selection! Great company! They are helping to revive the long history of hops growing in the Fraser Valley.

They also just started making a brilliant Spruce Tip/hops pellet blend. Genius i think. They smell amazing.

Check em out → http://chilliwackhopfarms.com

I have to agree about Chilliwack Hop Farms. Great selection and prices directly from the farm. Just picked up a half pound of the spruce tip El Dorado blend pellets. Just about ready to try a SMaSH IPA with them.

I'll have to keep it in mind. A really good buddy of mine owns tavistock Hops so I'm always stealing his supply in lieu of free labour

I'll have to keep it in mind. A really good buddy of mine owns tavistock Hops so I'm always stealing his supply in lieu of free labour

I was trying to get some aged hops from them, Hallertau for my first sour project but they never got back to me after a few email exchanges. I was a sad and put my plans on hold, I wanted to support a local business but I guess I got lost in the shuffle of everyday business. I should pop down there some time and check it out though.

Does anyone know where one could find First Gold (Primma Donna) hop rhizomes/plants in Canada? Would love to have some, but would like to avoid the hassle of import permits.

I was trying to get some aged hops from them, Hallertau for my first sour project but they never got back to me after a few email exchanges. I was a sad and put my plans on hold, I wanted to support a local business but I guess I got lost in the shuffle of everyday business. I should pop down there some time and check it out though.

Kyle did mention that to me actually. I can't recall the details of it all though. Might be because I cleaned him out of hallertau. He only has a few plants that he used as a test,not so much for distribution, so I steal most if not all lol.

It's harvest season in a couple weeks (glacier and centennial at any time now) so hurry in there. Shoot him another email and I'll personally tell him this weekend to set some aside

Kyle did mention that to me actually. I can't recall the details of it all though. Might be because I cleaned him out of hallertau. He only has a few plants that he used as a test,not so much for distribution, so I steal most if not all lol.

It's harvest season in a couple weeks (glacier and centennial at any time now) so hurry in there. Shoot him another email and I'll personally tell him this weekend to set some aside

I won't be able to get down there for a couple of weeks yet. I am not planning on doing another brew until I get back from vacation, I'll be gone from the 21st until the 27th, so I will probably swing by on the 19th and pick up some hops for an IPA, or wait until Rob at SFBC gets them in stock.

Where do you get your whole leaf hops? I'm looking to get my hands on a bunch of UK whole leaf hops.

What's the best place to get fruit puree from in Ontario? I want to try my hand at a fruit beer but I know this is probably the best way to get enough volume to infuse into a beer without doing all the work to pasteurize a bunch of fruit myself.

@apimyces keep an eye out on all the regular online shops

@drunkencanuck I believe Tavistock Hops is going to distribute all their homebrew packages through Rob now. I'll try and find out for sure when I see him later today. Of course I'm sure you can deal directly for larger quantities

@apimyces keep an eye out on all the regular online shops

@drunkencanuck I believe Tavistock Hops is going to distribute all their homebrew packages through Rob now. I'll try and find out for sure when I see him later today. Of course I'm sure you can deal directly for larger quantities

Yeah, they started selling Tavistock Hops last year I think, but the website still lists them as sold out, likely due to them not having as much product in their first few years. A few guys I have talked to at the KW homebrewer get together's that Rob has put on (I went to the bottle share at SFBC a few months ago with my maple ale, seemed to go over alright) and was at the sour beer talk with Kevin Freer from Block 3 a few weeks ago. Some of the guys there said they were growing hops and they were getting a lot more pellets and better growth out of their hop plants by year 3, so I reckon that this will be the case with Tavistock Hops, they should have a better supply this year. It's hard when you can't grow outside for half the year, you need more product to keep up with the demand.

I am still playing around with beer ideas right now as to what I want to do next, I might do a California Ale now, followed by a winter beer or a mead. My weizenbock should be coming out of the final phase of fermentation at 20 Celsius in two weeks so I will be bottling 2 gallons and kegging the rest.

Almost all the suppliers I've looked at only sell pellets. The few that sell whole leaf either don't sell any from the UK, or just First Gold and Boadicea. To be honest I'm looking for seeds and I already have some from the two of these, I'm looking for some of the more recent cultivars now.

Almost all the suppliers I've looked at only sell pellets. The few that sell whole leaf either don't sell any from the UK, or just First Gold and Boadicea. To be honest I'm looking for seeds and I already have some from the two of these, I'm looking for some of the more recent cultivars now.

Tavistock Hops would be able to sell you whole leaf hops, depending on if they have what you want. You'd have to email them and ask, and see if there is a way to get them shipped to you because as far as I know, there are only two places selling their product and they are both here in Ontario.

Does anyone know where one could find First Gold (Primma Donna) hop rhizomes/plants in Canada? Would love to have some, but would like to avoid the hassle of import permits.

If you can find someone to ship them from the US, you don't need import permits. I've imported hops several times without any issue (even though it literally said hops right on the package), you just need to convince someone to send them.

You most certainly do need an import permit (and phytosanitary certificate) when getting hops from the US. Live hop plants, I mean. Either customs didn't look at it, or they presumed it was hop cones, don't know. But I looked at AIRS again this morning and saw those requirements again, so I'm certain that it's not permitted. Who did you get yours from...? Great Lake Hops doesn't ship to Canada as far as I know, so that'd require fetching stuff across the border myself or paying brokers to deal with that. I don't know of many other american rhizome suppliers that have interesting variety diversity.

For whole leaf hops, Tavistock has Rakau, Cascade, Glacier, Centennial, Newport, Hallertau, and some unknown heritage. At least according to their website, unless you mean they have more?

I'm looking for UK-grown whole hops, anyways. Pioneer, Herald, Pilot, Minstrel®, and Archer®. Especially the first three.

Shortfinger in Kitchener is local for me, and they are amazing. I recommend.

That's who I use. Rob does the Lord's work for us homebrewers, and he is a really nice guy. Looking forward to the ability to pay by the gram in store that he wants to do.

I'd like to try my hand at a gluten free beer, but I have no idea where to buy the ingredients.

If any of you are in the GTA, especially the West end, where do you bring your CO2 canisters to get refilled.

I know Toronto Brewing does exchanges, but I think you have to buy their branded CO2 bottles to do that. Any recommended gas suppliers?

Back