can you tell me if my brew looks good? (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maboitan

Reaction score
so last night i started my second brew and my first using a glass carboy (so i can see inside now). I was hoping i could show a couple pic's and see what you all thought about how it looked? the recipe is for a columbus IPA any comments or advice would be really appreciated. THanks!

-Matt

10 minutes after pitching yeast

0hoursscl0.jpg

12 hours after pitching yeast

12houssjx5.jpg

Looks good. Looks like fermentation is beginning. Are you leaving the fermenter uncovered and exposed to light? If so, you would be well advised to put it is a dark place or wrap a dark colored towel around it to keep the light out. Light skunks beer quickly. The more hops the more pronounced the skunking.

Also, the temp is on the high end. You want to try to keep the fermentation temp under 70, if you can. You can kill two birds with one stone. A dark towel to keep the light out, but if you soak the towel in water, wring out the excess, drape the towel over the carboy and run a fan to blow air over the wet towel covered carboy, you just created a swamp cooler that will lower your temps by several degrees.

Looks good to me. You can see all those proteins settling in the top pic and 12 hours later you can see the krausen beginning to form and most of the break has settled to the bottom. Enjoy the brew!

i live in an apartment building and meant to bring it down from my kitchen to our storage unit which is in the basement parking lot before i added all 5 gallons, cause now it's a ***** to carry, especially down stairs. would you suggest carrying it down there? would that be too much bouncing and swirling? i just started the batch last night (friday aug. 22)

If it's cooler and darker than any place in your apartment then it wouldn't be a bad idea to move it down there. A word of caution though. Moving a full glass carboy can be a dangerous proposition, to say the least. DO NOT attempt to carry it by the neck, with or without a dedicated carboy handle. Those handles are made to carry an empty carboy. If you try to carry it by the neck when full, the neck can, and most likely will break off!

A carboy can also easily slip out of your arms and come crashing down. I've seen the end results first hand. My buddy severed his femoral artery and came close to cashing out if not for the quick thinking of someone who put a tourniquet on until help could arrive.

If you have to move it, a good, and safe way to do it is to place the carboy in an old milk crate or buy one of those carboy harness type slings that support the entire carboy.

I've seen the end results first hand. My buddy severed his femoral artery and came close to cashing out if not for the quick thinking of someone who put a tourniquet on until help could arrive.

I my %&@# :eek:

+1 on the sling. It was only $12 bucks and saves me a ton of headache (and backache)

Back