Can you Brew It recipe for Terrapin Wake N' Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

THIS WAS DEEMED NOT CLONED by a vote of 3-1, however it was found to be very close and the reasoning for the differences is described below.

OG 1088
FG ?
IBUs 44.4
SRM 57

6.8kg US 2-row 68%
800g crystal 80lov 8.1%
700g flaked barley 7.1%
700g flaked oats 7.1%
300g british black patent 450lov 3%
300g british chocolate malt 350lov 3%
300g british roasted barley 450lov 3%

British malts are Thomas Fawcett.

Boil for 90min

21g Chinook 13%AA at 60min
14g Nugget 13%AA at 30min

Wyeast 1272

Mash at 152F for 60min

Ferment at 66F-68F.

Add coffee at 14.6g/gallon of beer, which is 73g in 5 gallons of beer. The coffee is 60% Costa Rican/20% Guatemalan/20% Zimbabwe. [The actual coffee that Terrapin uses can be found here]

Ferment completely, then rack beer onto coarse ground coffee, hold for 48 hours.

Discussion notes:
JP did not account for the decrease in efficiency due to brewing a bigger beer, his version had a OG of 1080. JP used WLP001 and Jamil reported that the small differences between the two beers could be accounted for in this fact. JP used a different coffee than what the brewer recommended, which could possibly account for another difference.

About to brew this in the next couple days. Almost 22 pounds of grist, wow. I was fortunate enough to have visited Terrapin recently and picked up a can of the Wake and Bake coffee. I'm just as excited to drink it as I am to use it in the beer.

A few quick questions. First, how long should this sit in primary?

Second, I get that you rack onto the coarsely ground coffee. Should I sanitize the coffee somehow? Also, I'm not sure what the recipe means when it says "hold for 48 hours" after racking onto the coffee beans. Does that mean I only keep it in secondary for 48 hours and than rack the beer off the coffee and into a keg? I could be wrong, but don't most stouts sit longer than than this before they're kegged or bottled?

Sorry, still rather new at this and really want to try to brew this?

I let mine sit in the primary for 2 weeks, two weeks secondary. Two days before I bottled it, I crushed the coffee and added it to the secondary and cold crashed in attempts to get the coffee to slowly sink. I didn't do anything to sanitize it. You could let it sit in the secondary for any amount of time then just add the coffee a couple days before you bottle or keg. If you want to use a "tertiary" you could. That's technically the way they do it at Terrapin. I thought that would be a pain on a home brew level.

Mine tasted great going into bottles but I'm going on about 6 weeks now with very little carb. It's a fairly big beer, I kinda assumed this would happen. I'll post an update when one is properly drinkable.

I never really bottled (except for the Blichman gun off the keg), so I'm guessing that your beer has sat in the bottles for six weeks and still isn't carbed enough. Is letting it sit this long ideal to help the flavors settle?

Do you think it would be fine if I transferred it into a keg after four weeks (two in primary and two in secondary) and carbed it like I do with my other beers, or do you think the beer should sit longer than four weeks before being kegged/carbed? Thanks so much for the help on this one. Hoping to brew it Sunday!

I couldn't give you a good answer to that because I've never kegged, lol. I have a couple sitting here that I got on cyber monday but I haven't put anything in them yet. Just to note, I usually keep all my beers in the primary for 2 weeks, regardless if they are done or not. This one was still at 1.030 at 2 weeks so I kept it in the secondary for two weeks to try to get it to come down more. Never happened. I will say that it was really sweet for about 3 or 4 weeks in the bottle. I keep trying to see if it's ready so I've had at least one a week since about 2 weeks in bottles. The sweetness may have just been from priming sugar though. I would think if you are concerned, it wouldn't hurt anything to keep it in the secondary for and extra week or two before it goes into the keg. I only say this because once it's in the keg I'd assume you'd chill it right away right? This would slow down the aging process. The other option is do two weeks primary, two weeks secondary (with the coffee in at 2 days prior to kegging), keg it, then keep your hands off it for as long as possible. The cool thing about a keg is you could pull an ounce or two off it just to check every once in a while to see how it's doing. If you're happy with it right away, you're good to go. You could always bottle a few from the keg to age too. Whenever I bottle a batch, I fill 5 or 6 bombers and the rest 12oz bottles. The bombers I tuck into the back of the fridge and come back to them later to see what age has done to them.

As far as the actual brew day, if I remember, the mash temp Spike uses is pretty high to keep the body up. Like I mentioned, mine finished at about 1.030 so it might not hurt to keep you're mash temps a little lower. I would have liked for it to finish a little lower but tis is life and yeast.

Good luck! I live within distribution range of Terrapin so my wife and I get this beer whenever we can. It's fantastic. I figured I'd just make a batch of it this year instead. That and we went to their hop harvest festival so I was able to nab a can of the coffee blend for it.

Keep us updated how it turns out. I'm sure I'll be brewing it again at some point myself.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! Yeah, once we put the beer in the keg it goes into our keezer and chills. I probably will lower the mash temp so the beer finishes below 1.030. Hoping that if we brew on Sunday that the beer will be drinkable by end of January. But, like you said, the nice part about kegging is we can easily sample throughout while it's in the keg. My wife and I usually drink/brew IPA's, and whenever we brew a heavier beer (stout, robust porter, etc.) they usually last a a couple months. Interesting to tast the subtle changes in flavor over time. Will definitely bottle a few to age too.

Again, thanks for the help! lol...you gotta get those kegs set up! Cheers!

dignifiedb said:
Again, thanks for the help! lol...you gotta get those kegs set up! Cheers!
No problem. I have an amber less than a week away from going into a keg. Sooo excited to not have to bottle it. It's brewed with 100% home grown hops:]

Brewed on Tuesday. OG came in a little low (1.082), but otherwise a great brew day. Wife's addition of some oatmeal cookie spices with five minutes left in the boil was our only deviation from the recipe. Fermenting like mad in the basement right now!!! Glad I used a blow off tube or I'd have a stout covered laundry room.

Cool. I remember mine fermenting pretty strong too. I like to keep my ferm temps low though so I didn't have any issues with just an airlock.

Gonna throw a bottle in the fridge. Fingers crossed for some bubbles.

Hope yours is carbed and tastes great! Yeah, I really like to keep fermentation at or below 68 degrees, but I don't have any direct way to control the temp. On the rare times it has gotten to 70, I set it in a tub of ice. lol...real high tech. What do you do to control ferm temps?

Nothing wrong with a tub of ice. We all start somewhere. I have a glorified son of fermentation chamber built from 2" rigid insulation and wrapped in 3/4 ply. I built that as a step up from a tub of water with ice packs but it's my backup now that I have a chest freezer and temp controller. Right now I have a pilsner in the chest freezer so my ales will be in the ferm chamber for a few months.

My w n b is gettin there. Probably just another week or two in a warm room and it'll be good to go. Tastes great though.

Turned out great. I don't know where I went wrong bottling but it never carbed up for me. After about four months I put it all in a keg. It took on a little oxidation because of the transfer but otherwise it's awesome.

I will say though, I'm not a huge fan of the coffee blend. It's a little to aromatic/fruity for my liking especially when I made coffee with it. I've used a more mild morning blend in other coffee beers I've made and used irish ale yeast. If you're going for an exact clone though, use the real stuff and the suggested yeast. Prior to my transfer to a keg, it was spot on the real thing...just not so bubbly.

Hi,
I would really like to try this recipe but I am only brewing extract at this point. This would only be my third brew. I am wondering if anyone knows what is the best extract to use to replace the 2 row for this recipe? I see people using dark and extra light in their RIS recipes. Also, can I simply use the other grains as steeping grains like I have in my other kit beers I have brewed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
I would really like to try this recipe but I am only brewing extract at this point. This would only be my third brew. I am wondering if anyone knows what is the best extract to use to replace the 2 row for this recipe? I see people using dark and extra light in their RIS recipes. Also, can I simply use the other grains as steeping grains like I have in my other kit beers I have brewed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would use a lighter extract since you are just trying to replace the pale 2-row. You will still get the color/flavor from the other grains. You may need to add some 2 row with the other grains for a mini-mash for proper conversion. Look up BIAB (brew in a bag) for how to do this on your stove.

I was walking through Whole Foods this week and saw the Wake'N'Bake coffee blend, which reminded me I need to brew this so I grabbed a can of the coffee. I will be brewing this today. Since I am feeling lazy today and not wanting to go to the LHBS, I will be using either S-05, or pitching onto an English Ale cake.

Got my ingredients ordered yesterday for an 11 gallon batch of this recipe. I will be adding coffee to 5.5 gallons (of my own blend) and oak aging with maple syrup added to secondary on the other 5.5 gallons( a la CBS) I'll keep ya posted on the progress. The coffee batch should be ready in 3-4 weeks and I'm looking to have the oak/maple batch done within the next 3 months.

I brewed this back on 5/11 and ended up at 1.097, finished at 1.024 (9.6%), so quite a bit higher than the Terrapin beer. For the coffee, I racked onto 3oz of course crushed Jitter Joes Wake N Bake coffee, then added about 4 oz of cold steeped coffee at bottling (used another oz of finely crushed coffee). I opened the first one on 6/16, and it was surprisingly good for the alcohol % and minimal aging. I opened some more yesterday, and man it has smoothed out. I did a side by side with Terrapin's and everyone preferred mine. The coffee has died down significantly in the Terrapin one. Losing the coffee flavor really changed the overall characteristics of this beer. Either way, mine is great, and I will be brewing it again later this fall around the time the Terrapin version comes out.

Brewed this in Oct '12 and it has really started to shine. When it was young it was delicious but very very coffee forward (mostly in the aroma). Now that the aroma has died back a bit the coffee flavor and RIS flavor have blended together well and it's totally smooth. Mine came in around 8.2% abv but you can drink it up quick. Lots of great flavors coming out of this one. I also noticed that at the right temp and carb level this thing goes to a whole different level and gets super creamy.

I brewed the recipe as given on the show and adjusted for my efficiency.

Brewed this in Oct '12 and it has really started to shine. When it was young it was delicious but very very coffee forward (mostly in the aroma). Now that the aroma has died back a bit the coffee flavor and RIS flavor have blended together well and it's totally smooth. Mine came in around 8.2% abv but you can drink it up quick. Lots of great flavors coming out of this one. I also noticed that at the right temp and carb level this thing goes to a whole different level and gets super creamy.

I brewed the recipe as given on the show and adjusted for my efficiency.

I think this recipe will work in a whole lot of ways. I've made 20 gallons of this recipe. 15 with the Wake n Bake coffee. 5 with a Peruvian Dark Roast. Both are amazing. And completely different. Try brewing it without the coffee! I'm going to do another batch with 6 lbs of cherry purée and see how that goes!

I brewed this and am getting ready to transfer to secondary. I am looking at adding 15oz of cold toddy Ethiopian coffee via a Kyoto extraction process. What do you all think? Too much for a 5.5 gallon batch?

Thanks

Back