Can you backsweeten AND carb for bottles at the same time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratm4484

Reaction score
If I add potassium sorbate so I can back sweeten my cider, won't this not allow my bottles to carb up?

You really only have three choices: dry and carbonated, sweet and flat, or artificially sweetened (including lactose) and carbonated.

Or kill, sweeten, keg and force carbonate.

If you want to bottle condition your cider, and you want it sparkling, you can use lactose, Splenda, Sweet & Low (ick), or any other non-fermentable sweetener.

ratm4484 said:
If I add potassium sorbate so I can back sweeten my cider, won't this not allow my bottles to carb up?
I'm by no means an expert but if you stabilize with potassium sorbate the yeast are killed and you can back sweeten with fermentable sugar. The cider will not carbonate. I would say use some apple juice.:mug:

ratm4484 said:

I made the mistake of using potassium sorbate to sweeten my batch of EdWort's apfelwein, thinking that I could then add 3/4 cup of priming sugar to carb. Now I have two cases of really sweet, flat apfelwein . . . :drunk:

I guess I was just too anxious to get going on bottling day. Had I read up on potassium sorbate first, I could've figured this one out pretty quickly.

I've had good luck with cider yeast. I am able to carbonate it lightly and it's still (slightly) sweet. Not overly sweet (ick), but definately "not dry".

Latest posts

Back