Can we stop using Pop Psychology to define our brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In fact, it was not. I asked if we could stop. It was a question. I then discussed the origin of the word and pointed out how the current usage is at odds.

oh, ok.

well, then my answer is no, because in this context (non-academic), the usage is entirely correct and proper.

well, then my answer is no, because in this context (non-academic), the usage is entirely correct and proper.

i'm in ^this^ camp. with all due respect to the OP, this has to be the silliest thread i've read on HBT. i think we ALL obsess over things, brewing specifically in this particular conversation. i think that's why many of us are members of HBT, because we think and feel and OBSESS over our hobby and HBT is a community of other folks who can relate to that. i know i spend hours each day thinking about brewing, beer, and this hobby. by definition that's obsessive. don't need a degree in psychology to know that.

For those of you that said I am upset. Please identify the words or phrases that indicate this.

No one is or should be Anal about sanitation.
This is short for anal retentive. Its a stage in Freudian theory that you are supposed to emerge from and move on. If you were truly anal about brewing sanitation, you would be doing so at the detriment of the rest of your process as well as being annoying. Being anal retentive is a bad thing. It's a character flaw. Be meticulous or thorough on the extreme end or maybe just be expedient. If you are, in fact, anal then you are doing it wrong. In fact log off now and go re-clean something

No one is obsessed with brewing or addicted to brewing.
Again, if you are, why are you reading? Seek help.

i'm sure there's more, but i'm lazy

just sayin'

Yes, it absolutely does. And that is why I asked that we change.

I find meticulous more instructive than anal. I find enthused better than obsessed. That's my opinion.
And it is an entirely valid opinion.

My opinion is that words like anal and obsessed, when used in the context as they have been in this forum, are equally as descriptive and instructive as to the point the poster is trying to convey. The masses understand their usage.

That is my opinion, which is equally as valid as yours or anyone elses.

Yes, it absolutely does. And that is why I asked that we change.

I find meticulous more instructive than anal. I find enthused better than obsessed. That's my opinion.

Not to purposely fuel things any further, I think that you are asking that we NOT change. That we use the terms you have talked about in only the traditional forms and not in the current "pop" usage.

I agree that meticulous and enthused are more proper but, I also think that everyone knows what the message is when anal and obsessed are used.

That's my opinion.

Probably not.

Can you stop using Pop Psychology to define our brewing?

Definitely, if you want to.

Again, that's my opinion.

The obsessed thing was actually something I joined together on the theory that this was a pop psych phenom. The anal retentive thing is the actual argument. I do think that obsessed is overused just like I think passionate is on the professional side. And yes, Moto, I'm sure I have used them in the past to describe myself even.

Continue to be anal and obsessed brewers if you want.

For those of you that said I am upset. Please identify the words or phrases that indicate this.

For me it was when you referred to overcoming dogma in, I believe, your OP. Casting the everyday usage of the words "anal" and "obsessed" as some kind of dogma localized to this forum, or some kind of dogma that we as HBT should be but are unable to surmount, struck me as weirdly peevish. People use these words like this all the time and outside of academia it's generally considered if not correct, at least accepted usage and tends not to cause this kind of reaction. It's not that we're in thrall to some rigid dogma, but are just RDWHAHBing and writing as we would speak. Most people seem to be fine with that.

EDIT: Oops, it was Post 19: " I'm not sure what Dogma we can't all get past. Is everyone really hung up on those words?"

The obsessed thing was actually something I joined together on the theory that this was a pop psych phenom. The anal retentive thing is the actual argument. I do think that obsessed is overused just like I think passionate is on the professional side. And yes, Moto, I'm sure I have used them in the past to describe myself even.

Continue to be anal and obsessed brewers if you want.

Can I start a thread about the over use of "epic" on this board? Nevermind, I'm guilty :eek:.

In my opinion, I've said things that caused upset, but that was not my intention. I'd get less reaction if I said the word brewer means incest dog in Sumerian.

The dogma I refer to is, "We've been calling ourselves this for so long, you must hate us for not wanting us to change".

Not the case.

The dogma I refer to is, "We've been calling ourselves this for so long, you must hate us for not wanting us to change".

Not the case.

OK, I misunderstood which dogma you were referring to. Well in that case I retract my earlier post. I think you've expressed your opinion rationally without getting emotional or upset. I still think the thread's pedantic though :D.

Words are nothing more than the meaning we make of them. When a majority of the people use a word a certain way, THAT is the correct way...end of story. Listen to the people who actually create the dictionaries if you don't believe me....there is a reason we add hundreds of words a year and edit definitions even more:

American Heritage Makes Some Hefty Additions | Here & Now

10 Years And 10,000 New Words Later, American Heritage Revises Dictionary | Radio Boston

Teen is NOT a word...but guess what...it will be.

I'd say let it go...meh*

*now a word

Good thread olllllo. Let me beat the horse a bit more, courtesy of my Comm major.

The purpose of communication is to reconcile the gap of understanding between two human beings. That's why connotations, allusions or "inside jokes" are so powerful - we know what the other person means without having to thoroughly explain it.

Should we stop using SWMBO? ...taken literally makes her sound like a harsh, cold, control monster. But we all use it as a great, inclusive, supportive term, with affection, for our better halves.

So, I totally agree that it's not the proper usage of those terms, and I want to validate your request - I, too, call people out when they're using a term incorrectly. But if the vast majority of people get the idea (anal = be meticulous) and (obsessed = think about all the time), then effective communication is happening.

So it goes.

I'll tell you why this came up.

I was talking to someone about homebrewing and they brought out the old misconception about brewing in the bathtub, which no one does. (You could, but that's a different point.) I've heard, over the years, people claim they were anal about sanitation and I know for a fact that they ferment in the coldest room in the house. You know, the one with all the tile and porcelain. I've done it, many of us have. But there is no way in hell a so called anal brewer would and that's how I arrived on the disconnect.

OK now google anal brewer.

Cannot be unseen.

I'm in ecstasy when I'm brewing.

And I used to chill with a homebrew, but that got too cold so now I relax with one.

I haven't even read the whole thread but I do share at least the distaste for using the term "anal" as short for "anal retentive" even if the reference to the term is 100% accurate to any accepted definition. "Anal" suggests "of the anus" and it's freaking gross unless you're sweet talking your lady friend. Freud was an idiot.

Good thread olllllo. Let me beat the horse a bit more, courtesy of my Comm major.

The purpose of communication is to reconcile the gap of understanding between two human beings...

So the real question then is, do we ALLOW OUR LANGUAGE TO CHANGE. Is there something wrong with that? Ebonics anyone?

Or do we hold onto and reinforce the original meanings so that the colloquialisms don't to get into the dictionary.

If language wasn't suppose to change we would all be speaking latin right now...in about 500 years, Europe went from latin to the 4 main romance languages (French, Italian, English, Spanish)

Is that a travesty to latin?

If we are well and truly done with pop psychology, neologisms, "creative" grammar and punctuation, and anecdotes treated as scientific discoveries, then I submit we are no longer on the Internet.

I was talking to someone about homebrewing and they brought out the old misconception about brewing in the bathtub, which no one does. (You could, but that's a different point.)
Actually I will wager many people brew in the bath tub, inside fermenters. I do understand the idea of using a bathtub as fermenter is what they meant but I will say that is a fairly accurate statement for some of our community.

I've heard, over the years, people claim they were anal about sanitation and I know for a fact that they ferment in the coldest room in the house. You know, the one with all the tile and porcelain. I've done it, many of us have.
Then we agree.

But there is no way in hell a so called anal brewer would and that's how I arrived on the disconnect.
We disagree. It would not be as far of a stretch as the 1st quote did, to say that an "anal brewer" ferments in the bathroom because that is what is covering the outside of the fermenters. I hate to point this out but most people keep their toothbrush in a cabinet in the bathroom because if you do not then you may as well brush your teeth in the toilet bowl. Every time that thing is flushed it sends an explosion of fecal matter into the air to cover everything.

*gross

Then we have the "addicted to" saying to mess with things. I do have issues with that kind of terminology because it is certainly a want vs. a need. Addiction is based on need. This is why I do not believe one can be "addicted to video games" or "addicted to brewing" these are strong wants that can mimic need but no one is going to die if you do not get to brew within a week.

I do fear pop culture references are ingrained into many people and into this hobby already with, clever user names/ brewery names/ beer names and the like. Please do not make me search for the Harry Potter - Butter Beer thread link...

To answer your question, No, I do not think we will ever escape popular culture in a hobby that has a strong tie with creativity as this one. We even have our own "pop culture" terms we use.

Time for beer! :mug:

Back