Can someone smoking in the same room of fermentation cause problems or stop fermentat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedbrewery

Reaction score
I am sort of new to homebrewing, and I don't know all there is to know about it.

So I have a batch brewing right now, and someone I know smoked in the same room that it was sitting in, even after I told them not to....
will this affect the brew or anything?

I dub thee: "Second Hand Smoked Ale". Seriously, if the airlock keeps the room air out, that would include any smoke in it.

if they were smoking the mari-ju-wana than the beer gets ten points better....

oooh well then bongwater beer would be a new type..... wonder what yeast would be best for fermentation....

If you have the beer in one of those white plastic diaper pail/fermenters. They are permeable. The smoke will go right through the plastic, displacing any oxygen with carcinogens. The yeast will get cancer, at the least their growth will be stunted. It would have been better if the tobacconist used the bucket for a spittoon. Enzymes in the spittage would help the concoction.

This brings up something that might be worth a try....... IF you can put hops in a vaporizor and control the temp of oil vapor.... say under 140 for aroma, could you fill a carboy with it and slowly rack secondary into said vapor filled carboy for a vapor dry hop?????? Or even into a bottle and have head space filled with hop vapor then let carb. Co2 displaces vapor into beer..... am i crazy?

I used to smoke around my fermenting beer all the time without any problems. and non-smoking friends never mentioned anything about a cigarette smoke flavor or aroma in my beer. and they would have.

I smoke around my fermentor. I also pee in the sink that the growler for my blow-off tube sits in if I don't want to go all the way upstairs for a quick leak. I have yet to miss and pee into the growler but I'm sure it will happen at some point.

I know it sounds like I'm kidding...

Back