Can someone give me a hand choosing my hop additions for this pale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middlemanmark

Reaction score
Hello yeast buddies. I've got 50g each of Simcoe, Galaxy and Citra. Shooting for a 30-40 IBU pale range.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 22.29 l
Post Boil Volume: 17.29 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 16.00 l
Bottling Volume: 14.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 0.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 kg Maris Otter (Warminster) (4.5 EBC) Grain 1 48.8 %
1.50 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 2 36.6 %
0.20 kg Carapils (Briess) (2.5 EBC) Grain 3 4.9 %
0.20 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 4.8 %
0.20 kg Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 5 4.9 %
1.0 pkg New England (Lallemand #) Yeast 6 -

Chucking in some lactose based on a commercial example I tried from a local brewery a few weeks ago. It was mid range IBU I think and pretty hazy, but it definitely wasn't aiming for hoppy as **** NEIPA levels. The mouth wasn't overly soft and creamy either. I was also thinking about going 2:1 (or maybe 3:1?) SO4:CL.

I was thinking maybe dodge the Simcoe altogether and just go Citra and Galaxy, but I'm not too sure. Anyone got any winners they've had with these hops? I'm after something pretty fruity (aren't we all these days).

Cheers. Appreciate any advice.

Basically what you want with those hops is to add them in all at flame-out or later. Depending on how much of each hop you have, you could go 2oz of each at 0, 2oz of each for a 20 minute whirlpool/steep @170°F, and 2oz of each at dryhop. That would probably put you in the ball park of 40 IBU's.

Simcoe will be nice in a NEIPA, if you do go overboard with it. Galaxy can become very dank and agressive tasting when used in bigget qty, so make it a Citra focused beer.

Where did you buy the single sachet of Lallemand New England yeast? :)

Where did you buy the single sachet of Lallemand New England yeast? :)

I’m U.K. based! So might not be any good to you. Regardless, it’s from geterbrewed.co.uk. (I’m new here and it won’t let me post links for some reason?)

I believe they are breaking down 500g packs and selling them individually.

I live in Europe, but I think geterbrewed.co.uk do not send to Europe, or at least Romania, where I'm from.

I live in Europe, but I think geterbrewed.co.uk do not send to Europe, or at least Romania, where I'm from.

Just double check on that, they’re actually based in Northern Ireland so also have an identical shop that charges in euros (geterbrewed.ie)

What the shipping arrangements are though I have no idea!

They do not send to my country, but I can see they are selling 25gr for £4.95, so that is not a bad price. 25 gr is a good pitch for a 6-8% IPA.

Basically what you want with those hops is to add them in all at flame-out or later. Depending on how much of each hop you have, you could go 2oz of each at 0, 2oz of each for a 20 minute whirlpool/steep @170°F, and 2oz of each at dryhop. That would probably put you in the ball park of 40 IBU's.
This is solid gold, but it is worth considering that the bittering done through the whole boil to 30ish ibus will save hops and in a blind taste test, could potentially taste the same as ibus from whirlpool. Thus one small boil addition to get 30 ish ibus and the rest dry hopped essentially, either before, during or after fermentation. I think beersmith calculates this, the 0 minute addition and the whirlpool above 170 I would think would be more like 4 oz steeping in hot water for 20 minutes. Plus whatever chill time affecting the first 2 ounces. Maximize your hop usage by boiling small amount of simcoe to your ibu liking and then maybe 1 oz while you cool quickly and dry hop rest. Or just small bittering addition and dry hop rest. The neipas I have made have massive whirlpool and dry hop amounts. Not sure which give most juciness but assume dry hop.

Last edited:
Back