Can overcarbing lead to a tangy taste? (carbonic acid?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FVillatoro

Reaction score
I've read a few descriptions as to what carbonic acid from overcarbing can taste like, but I have seen different descriptions from the posts I've come across.

I changed the placement of my temperature probe and I turned down the temp on my keezer a few degrees, which lead to higher carbonation on my kegs.

I poured a pint of a cream ale that has been lagering for almost a month, and it had a tangy taste to it - the same proved for my ESB beer (I test and adjust for PH, so a high PH was not the issue).

Another pint was drawn, and this time I swirled it vigorously with a knife and foam kept and kept on building, and I set it down. A few minutes later I tried it again (flat this time), and the tangy aftertaste was virtually gone. I'm guessing overcarbing can cause this?

Looks like I need to lower my pressure and bleed off the kegs.

Thank you!

Yes, that is a real effect, but if it's a very strong tartness it's probably something else.

Did you use Nottingham yeast by any chance? I've seen several people report a "tart" result from that yeast, and I've seen it myself as well, although not nearly every time I've used it.

Yes, that is a real effect, but if it's a very strong tartness it's probably something else.

Did you use Nottingham yeast by any chance? I've seen several people report a "tart" result from that yeast, and I've seen it myself as well, although not nearly every time I've used it.

I used Safale US-05 for this batch.

The off flavor is more like a tang that finishes at the very end of an otherwise very clean-tasting beer.

Thanks for your reply!

Ive had that before and using 05.Sorta gives you a face like you just ate a lemon at the end.I always thought it was carbonic bite and maybe it is.But it could be yeast bite.Tough to say because they both settle out over time if carbed correctly and to me taste the same.I would think a couple of degrees temp change wouldn't be enough for a major overcarb.What is the temp and PSI?

Ive had that before and using 05.Sorta gives you a face like you just ate a lemon at the end.I always thought it was carbonic bite and maybe it is.But it could be yeast bite.Tough to say because they both settle out over time if carbed correctly and to me taste the same.I would think a couple of degrees temp change wouldn't be enough for a major overcarb.What is the temp and PSI?

I did read that about dry yeasts too.

The temp is about 36 @ like 15 psi - which would be about 3.3ish volumes - so yes, that is definitely a lot of carbing.

I turned it down to 12psi and upped the temp and will bleed off some gas in the next days.

Back