Can I use this kind of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beginnier927

Reaction score
I found this kind of hops
It's basically the dried flower, can I use these? And will they taste as good as the hops people use in YouTube? Those compressed pill shape hops
KxVSXlQTmv1mgHLQ0sSueEsLOp9HXaxpkv6ky6U1VHT2qnV3Z7.jpg_512X512X70.jpg

salâm, @Beginnier927!

do you have any additional information about these hops? where do they come from? do you have a variety name, or any statistics about the hops (alpha acids, oil content, etc.)?

i used google to translate your image, and the result was "Attari Khorasani". unfortunately that doesn't mean anything to me :( is this the variety of the hop? google isn't helpful with that name.

unless we can get more information, we can't answer your question - these could be excellent hops, or they could be terrible. you can't tell anything based on only a picture.

first idea: make a tea with them, and see how they smell in hot water. fruity? spicy? like old socks/rotten cheese? (you can drink the tea if you want, but it probably won't taste very good)

second idea: ultimately the only way to know if these hops are good or not would be to brew with them, i.e. do an experiment.
- the "safest" thing to do would be to use them as bittering hops. without knowing their alpha acid percentage, you'll have to guess: make a beer with them, assume some average AA% (say, 6%), calculate how much to add, take a lot of notes, brew the beer, taste, then adjust for next time (beer too sweet? use more next time, etc.)
- once you've got bittering down, you can determine flavor/aroma. make a beer and put two ounces (50 grams) or more, in the late boil & flame-out.

Those compressed pill shape hops
wait - do the hops look like the leaves/cones in your original picture above, or do they look like the pellets ("pill shape" as you say) below?

if they are like the pellets below, then they are almost certainly good for brewing. i don't know of any other reason why hops are compressed into pellets, so brew on :yes:

1680562044064.png

salâm, @Beginnier927!

do you have any additional information about these hops? where do they come from? do you have a variety name, or any statistics about the hops (alpha acids, oil content, etc.)?

i used google to translate your image, and the result was "Attari Khorasani". unfortunately that doesn't mean anything to me :( is this the variety of the hop? google isn't helpful with that name.

unless we can get more information, we can't answer your question - these could be excellent hops, or they could be terrible. you can't tell anything based on only a picture.

first idea: make a tea with them, and see how they smell in hot water. fruity? spicy? like old socks/rotten cheese? (you can drink the tea if you want, but it probably won't taste very good)

second idea: ultimately the only way to know if these hops are good or not would be to brew with them, i.e. do an experiment.
- the "safest" thing to do would be to use them as bittering hops. without knowing their alpha acid percentage, you'll have to guess: make a beer with them, assume some average AA% (say, 6%), calculate how much to add, take a lot of notes, brew the beer, taste, then adjust for next time (beer too sweet? use more next time, etc.)
- once you've got bittering down, you can determine flavor/aroma. make a beer and put two ounces (50 grams) or more, in the late boil & flame-out.
Oh it's just the name of the shop, it doesn't mean anything to the hops, there's not much info, they're just dried hops flower

wait - do the hops look like the leaves/cones in your original picture above, or do they look like the pellets ("pill shape" as you say) below?

if they are like the pellets below, then they are almost certainly good for brewing. i don't know of any other reason why hops are compressed into pellets, so brew on :yes:

View attachment 816795
I think it's because they want as less air in there as possible, not sure how that'll affect it, but I'll try the tea method, thx

they're just dried hops flower
ah, this is potentially bad news: hops, whether in leaf or pellet form, should be kept cold/frozen and packed in air-tight bags. oxygen and heat will, with time, ruin the hops: it will destroy the alpha acids and the oils responsible for the hop's flavor and aroma.

so if those hop leaves are just sitting around, loose in the warm Iranian air, then there is a chance they are stale and not worth brewing with (unless you want to make sour beer, but that's a whole different question...)

but again, we are lacking information here. only real way to find out is to experiment with them by using them in a brew.

I think it's because they want as less air in there as possible, not sure how that'll affect it, but I'll try the tea method, thx
yes, that is one of the reasons why hop leaves are compacted into pellets: lower surface area, so less damage by oxidation.

so are your hops loose leaves, or pellets?

Their just dryed herbal store hops, i use them and mine have a pellet hop and lemon flavor ,yours could have a regular flavor or orange or lemon?

Their just dryed herbal store hops, i use them and mine have a pellet hop and lemon flavor ,yours could have a regular flavor or orange or lemon?
I decided to go with pellet hops since they are richer in beneficial substances and add extra protection against bacteria

Latest posts

Back