Can I use these bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talenos

Reaction score
I have some empties of this Trader Joe's Vintage Ale, that would be awesome to use. Mostly because they're 750 ml, so they're pretty big. The problem is they were corked and didn't have caps.

So is it even worth the effort to try and cork them? Or should I just give up on the idea? What kinds of equipment would I need if I wanted to go this route?

If it is a Belgian style bottle then you would have to cork them. If it is a champagne style bottle then it may be capable. Most American "champagne" bottles will take a regular beer crown. Many European champagne bottles take a 29mm crown. Hold a regular beer bottle up to the bottle in question. Post a pic, since we don't have Trader Joe's here in the center of the universe I'm really only guessing.

Here's the best picture I have, doesn't really show the top off that well though. It was one you popped the top off like champagne. It's also pretty darn tasty for $4.99

n16906813_39197318_1848094.jpg

Lip looks too fat for a crown cap, but it's really hard to tell. I wouldn't bother using a cork unless you already got a corker + corks to burn.

It _looks_ like a belgian-style (so you'd need a corker and belgian corks+wire cages), but a closeup of the neck/top would be helpful.

Heh actually

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Belgian-Beer-Bottles-%252d-750ml-(12{47}case).html

That's the exact bottle, since the one I have is made by Unibroue.

I guess I'll give up on them for now.

I use bottles like that for beers that require significant aging. Not worth the trouble for a Hefe, but worth considering for a RIS (or similar big beer).

I have two of those exact Trader Joe's bottles, and yes indeed they are belgian style. They can only use a cork and cage for bottling.

Would the plastic champagne corks and wire cages work? Those can just be inserted with your hand, and don't cost much.

Steve

dang, I was wondering the same thing about these bottles. I've got one in my fridge and was thinking of drinking it now to reuse that awesome 750ml bottle. Does anyone know of any other 750 ml bottles that are easy to cap? I've got some cider brewing and really like the idea of storing the ciders in large bottles. I've already got 3 1ltr bottles and the standard 22oz but more of the large sounds great.

Back