Can I use a Turkey Fryer to brew with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patch62383

Reaction score
I was at Home Depot and I seen a 30 Qt fryer with a propane burner for only 40.00 on sale. I purchased it to find out it contains an aluminum Pot. I have read aluminum is bad for brewing because of oxidation but I have also heard it is fine as long as you clean it correctly. Does anyone else use this method and if so how do you clean the pot? Any information is great appreciated Thanks

I'll let someone else get into the aluminum thing because I'm not positive, but what I will say is I bought a SS version that sounds like what you're talking about and the pot could barely hold 7 gal, so I'd check it if I were you. I was pretty upset when I realized that while it said 30qt (7.5gal and it really held 6.5-7.0

I don't own an aluminum pot, but have read that you just have to boil water in it before the first use, this builds up a dull oxidized layer inside the pot. After that, good to go, just don't scrub the crap out of it afterwards and it'll be fine. If it looks shiney again after cleaning just boil water in it again if you want.

That's exactley what I use when doing BIAB or Extracts. For new pots you'll want to fill it up with plain tap water and then boil the water for about 30-45 min. This will form a barrier so you don't have to worry about the oxidation. Then after each brew I use clean water and paper towels.

I've used an aluminum pot for the last 2 1/2 years and it works great. Make sure you don't use and oxygen base cleaners on it, like oxyclean. I just use dish soap, hot water, and a sponge to clean.

It'll be fine. You may want to get a bigger pot in the long run, but for starters, the aluminum should be fine. Just go ahead and build up the oxidation layer. :)

I brew with an aluminum pot and do use oxyclean, have done it for years. Should I be dead or something? :eek:

I don't scrub it hard, just enough to get any gunk off it.

I brew with an aluminum pot and do use oxyclean, have done it for years. Should I be dead or something? :eek:

I don't scrub it hard, just enough to get any gunk off it.

I thought I read somewhere that it will cause the aluminum to rust and corrode? I might be mistaken though. I usually just use dish soap hahaha

It isn't possible to rust aluminum. Thanks for everyone's advice. Sounds like I did make a good choice. I cant believe I got this for 40.00 it was originally 79.99.

Aluminum doesn't "rust" red like iron but it does oxidize white.

I got a turkey fryer with a 7 gallon aluminum pot and then bought 10 gallon SS pot. I use the 10 gallon SS pot is for brewing. I use the 7 gallon aluminum pot is for frying turkeys.

That sounds like what I started with, and what I recommend. A while back there was a study which linked aluminum to Alzheimer's. I seem to recall that it was debunked from a practical perspective (probably something about the necessary concentrations).
The pot is a bit small for 5 gallon batches, but will work with care. Mine is now my HLT, water won't boil over like wort.

Back