Can I switch fermentation vessels during primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlvc1007

Reaction score
Right now I've got an ale brewing that's taking a littler longer than I anticipated. The krausen has fallen, so the vigorous stage of fermentation is over, but the SG is still around 1.025 or so. I know if I leave it that it will get down to the right gravity, but what are you're thoughts on dumping it, slowly so as not to aerate, to from the 6 gallon carboy it's currently in to my 5 gallon so I can brew another batch and put it in my 6 gallon?

Rack it in a few days or now,got a racking cane or auto siphon they are pretty cheap.?

Yes, naturally I would siphon most of it. By dump I was referring to the yeast cake at the bottom. Is it important to transfer that as well, since that's where most of the yeast is?

nope you dont need the cake - that's just all trub and yeast that has fallen out of solution. As you continue to ferment in your secondary you will see a new small layer of yeast form on the bottom

Back