Can beersmith calculate strike temp for sparge(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know how to make Beersmith tell you what temp. sparge water to add to get to 168 after emptying the mash tun prior to sparging?
It just tells me sparge with 2.4 gal of 168 water. It should tell me add 2.4 gal of 193ish water. Anyone know how to make this happen?

Or, what is the best way to calculate what temp my batch sparge water should be? I add it after I drain the mash tun so I have soaked grain at 154ish after the first draining. Shouldn't beersmith be able to calculate the remaining water in the grain and come up with a strike temp for the sparge(s)?

Thanks for any help!

My "work around" is to leave it set to have a mash out. The mash out water tends to be about 1/2 of the total sparge amount, and it gives you the correct temperature to get the grainbed to 168. If you're batch sparging, just drain the first runnings and add the "mash out" addition as the first round of sparge water. It should be pretty darn close!

Gotcha on the mashout, so instead of first draining before sparging, mashout, drain and then sparge the rest but what about the next sparge, you have an empty grainbed soaked with what was 168, do you add like 175 or so for the 2nd shot?

Here seems to be another work around that this guy just put the sparge as a 10 step at 170 and beersmith calculated it...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lost-abbey-avant-garde-clone-161332/

but still this way it is before draining so it is considering x amount of mash water to raise x degrees.. I was just trying to figure out what temp if I first drain the first runnings w/out a mashout... will I get better eff. if I mashout before draining the first runnings?

Thanks!

I'm not sure I explained what I do very well, so I'll try again.

I don't mash out when I do a batch sparge. However, I want to get my grainbed to 168. So, I use the software to tell me the mash out temp. But I don't actually DO the mash out, I just fully drain the mashtun. Then I add the mash out water as my first round of batch sparging. It brings my grainbed up to the correct temperature. Then, for the second round of batch sparging, I use 172 degree water, since my grainbed is already at 168.

If you're batch sparging, you will probably not get better efficiency with a mash out. It seems like you get better efficiency with two rounds of batch sparging, if you get the first round to get your grainbed up to 168.

Back