Can a few folks cross-check my calcs for my first AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neb_brewer

Reaction score
For this receipe:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/black-ipa-extract-kit-2.html Click the link that says ">> Click Here To Proceed To Link Destination <<" to continue to kit page.

Here are my calcs for strike temp and amount of sparge water:

(.2/1.3)(152-70)+152 = 164.6 degrees for strike water

12.5lb grain x 1.3 ounces/lb = 16.25 = 4.1 Gal mash water

4.1 x 1.5 = 6.15 gallons sparge water

My question is this: I know that the grain absorbs some of the water, but I'm using 10 gallons of water. When draining to my kettle do I just stop once I have my 5.5-6 gallons of wort? Or, will it all even out that when the sparge water is out I'll have my correct amount?

Those calcs look fine. I would be using a little different number for quarts per lb, but that is really a non-issue as it's each brewer's preference.

One thing I would add though - do not pre-calculate your sparge water and assume that's exactly what you'll need. My suggestion would be to figure out the amount of wort yielded from your 1st runnings and then sparge with the remainder needed to reach your desired pre-boil volume. For example, if you are hoping for 6.5 gallons of pre-boil wort and you yield 3.25 gallons from your 1st runnings you would then sparge with 3.25 gallons of water.

You do not want much wort left behind in your tun after your sparge as it will have sugars in it that you really want in your kettle (loss of efficiency).

Hope this helps.

cp

Back