Can a bazooka screen mash it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
Can a bazooka screen handle 15 lbs of grain in a 10 gallon cylinder cooler. I know the grain will fit as I just did 20 lb, but the mash didn't drain, much less the sparge. It was not fun.

For full disclosure - I added grain then water, which may have something to do with it. But, I'm also wondering if the weight had something to do with it as well.

Thanks

I have done 18lbs with one but I have a rectangular cooler.

I think your problem was all grain in and then all water in. You want to alternate smaller additions. Otherwise you can get dough balls and a thick mass in the bottom of the MLT with water on top.

Can a bazooka screen handle 15 lbs of grain in a 10 gallon cylinder cooler. I know the grain will fit as I just did 20 lb, but the mash didn't drain, much less the sparge. It was not fun.

For full disclosure - I added grain then water, which may have something to do with it. But, I'm also wondering if the weight had something to do with it as well.

Thanks

Try water first, then grain. Stir the crap out of it. If you still have problems, throw in a handful of rice hulls.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I always fill the water then dump all the grain in. I do get dough balls, but it just takes stirring the crap out of it to break them all up. I don't think it really makes any difference which comes first, the grain or the water. It just needs to be very well stirred.

I use a 3/4" braid from a water heater supply line. I have never had a stuck sparge, even with wheat and rye. Not even with 8 lbs of pumpkin meat. I did use a large handful of rice hulls with the pumpkin though.

Thanks all. I'm going to give the bazooka screen another shot with a lot of grain. Back to water first this time too.

I just did 24 lbs in a rectangle cooler yesterday using a bazooka screen with zero problems. Like others said above, sounds like your issue was adding the grain first. Water should go first. This also allows you to take a temp reading before you add any grain to ensure you are at proper strike temps.

Water first worked well. I still may switch to a false bottom before I do 20lb again, but this worked.

I have had no problems with any amount of grain using my bazooka screen and 10 gal cooler. So long as the cooler can fit enough grist for the grain I have had no stuck sparges and the water first, pour grain in method works great for me.

Yep same here. Water first then small amounts of grain. Never had a stuck sparge with the bazooka

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Did a 30 lb grain bill this past weekend. Mashed in a bayou classic 16 gallon kettel with a bazooka screen and had no problems at all.

I have done 18lbs with one but I have a rectangular cooler.

I think your problem was all grain in and then all water in. You want to alternate smaller additions. Otherwise you can get dough balls and a thick mass in the bottom of the MLT with water on top.

I agree... your problem war in the method and not the bazooka screen. Water in first, then slowly add the grains in portions while stirring to prevent dough balls.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Agree.. Agree.. I have had 100lbs of grain on a bazooka tube and no sweat. Water first for sure

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks to all that confirmed a 20lb + mash is possible with a similar set up. I will forgo purchasing a false bottom and be sure to do water first.

I now have a drain on my brew pot so it makes it easy to do water first (until it covers the screen), then slowly add grain and stir. It worked really well for my brew on Sunday.

I find this puzzling I use a bazooka screen, always grain first, the only time I had a stuck sparge was when I ground the grain too fine. The max grain I've done is 20 lbs. So was I lucky or is the OP grinding the grain to fine?

Off topic, but is that the 1064? If so, I'm curious how you insulate it. I have that kettle and have issues maintaining temp.

I have no idea if it's the number you asking, but it's a 16 gallon bayou classic. It came with the false bottom, bazooka screen, ball valve and thermometer. I insulated it with the reflective bubble wrap insulation they sell at Lowes or home depot. It worked great, but I also recirculated my mash through a herms coil also.

20140223_095618.jpg

I have no idea if it's the number you asking, but it's a 16 gallon bayou classic. It came with the false bottom, bazooka screen, ball valve and thermometer. I insulated it with the reflective bubble wrap insulation they sell at Lowes or home depot. It worked great, but I also recirculated my mash through a herms coil also.

Thanks for the response. As soon as I posted I realized a pertinent piece of info would be that I'm doing full-volume BIAB. And of course, no recirc. I've been using blankets, etc. and still have to add hot water (perhaps unnecessarily) around the 40 min mark.

And yes, that's the same kettle.

Thanks again.

Back