calling all disc golfers.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so i've noticed quite a few of my fellow home brewers are also fellow disc golfers, which of course kicks a$$. i'm sitting here cleaning up my bag, getting ready for my first outing of 2012, and i figured i'd start a new thread for us all to talk frolf.... and beer! it'd be great to have a thread where we can post pics, fun stories, gripe about lost discs and just chat about our favorite game.

i'll start the thread with what i'm throwing on the course today.....

my main discs are:
drivers: discraft avenger SS (z plastic)
discraft Xpress (z plastic)
questAT raging inferno
mids: discraft buzzz (z plastic)
ching power legacy (1st run)
latitude 64 core (optic plastic)
putts: discraft putt'r (eliteX plastic)
millennium omega

i'm taking it easy today and playing a park down the street from home (silver view), a nice li'l 9 hole with some decent obstacles and great elevation change. challenging enough to keep me on my toes and short enough to allow the kids to have some fun. for those of you familiar with the MSP area, i'll soon be getting my tags for Kaposia and North Valley parks from Fairway Flyerz. :rocking: can't wait to hit those two courses up this year!

so how 'bout it? what and where is everyone throwing this year? any good 'fish tales'? pics of the crazy places your discs have ended up? let's hear/see it!! :mug:

I frolf. My main driver is an Innova Chamion Orc. I use mostly Innova discs, but have some discraft. Only one ace in 5 years...

Just started in August. Still using a lot of Innova DX till I settle on drivers to get in premium plastic. Actually, I'm liking the DX even though I have noticed it takes more damage from trees and rocks than any makers premium. That's why I'm looking at changing drivers to more durable plastic.

For putters, I have an Innova Birdie and a Discraft Blowfly. So, one really hard one and one really soft one. The Blowfly may be a little too soft.

And a Leopard, of course.

Had a Discraft Avenger SS in their base. Skipped it into a lake. Too bad too. I liked it.

And yeah, dg and hb do seem to go together. :mug:

Been throwing the crap out of Pro Bosses. Man I can crank on them and they will not flip. Trying to get a lot of warm up rounds in before Bowling Green this year. Love the yearly pilgrimage to BG.

This will be the first year I am taking homebrew down with us! I brewed up an Oberon clone to take for the guys who are not into bigger beers. I have a Bock that I will bring down for myself and a Belgian Dark that probably will not be ready but I will bring some anyway just in case I shoot terrible and need to erase some memories (9.8% ABV should help me forget all those bad shots......)

Homebrew and Discgolf. No better combo!!

The closest course is 30 mins away and right now it's hard to get time to go. I cant wait to get back out there though, It's something I can do alone and be completely peaceful....the disc golf course is my man cave haha

I used to play a lot, particularly when I was in nashville. It has really slowed down since the friend I played with left town.

i throw a lot of latitude 64 stuff. Pretty much everything except my ions which I use for anything inside 175ish

i throw a lot of latitude 64 stuff. Pretty much everything except my ions which I use for anything inside 175ish

i love their discs. i currently only have the Core midrange thanks to the creek at Bear Creek in Grapevine, TX, but it's probably my most versatile disc next to my Ching Legacy. only drawback is it's the Opto plastic, great for lights at night, but likes to hide during the day. i've also really been loving my QuestAT discs (inferno, tee bone), the dimpled edge really help in the windy MN spring.

so i started my round yesterday with a bog on a hole that anything over a 2 is unacceptable, but followed that up with a string of pars and a bird. threw 27. can't complain. it seems that i've gotten a little added speed and length of the tee, can't complain there either. :mug: i'll be heading out to play 18 in a couple hours. :rockin::rocking:

Only one ace in 5 years...

now that's just not right!! i've been playing for ~3 times that long, i've hit the basket off the tee pretty much every way that you can without it actually going in..... :eek: saddest part of that was a few years ago i took a buddy, who's an avid ball golfer, out for his first round of frolf. now i consider myself a decent player, i play some challenging courses and usually play under par, but this guy.... not only did he shoot a few under his first time out, but he got an ace on the 6th hole!

Bear creek stole my fuse!!! Hole 15 I think?? Threw it straight past the basket into the creek

Oh yeah Disc Golf! Started on the Wii and worked my way up to the PS3 disc golf. Usually stick with the classic disc but sometime I'll throw the china plates or throwing stars.

Bear creek stole my fuse!!! Hole 15 I think?? Threw it straight past the basket into the creek

love that course, even tho it's taken more discs from me than many others. i've put two in that mud swamp behind the 5th green, and then the 15th.... the one with the basket right on the drop into the deep part of the creek... that's one of the holes i've d@mn near aced, right through the chains and into the water :mad: i did find a like new Cryzstal Avenger SS hang in' out in a tree on the 11th the last time i played there! i'm very much looking forward playing there next time i'm visiting my family in DFW.
speaking of Dallas courses, have you played B.B. Owen? right off 635 and Plano Rd.... great course, nothing real technical, just alotta fun.

You take winters off in Minnesota, huh? ;)

I brew beer for our local unsanctioned tournaments. For our last tag league finale I brought two kegs with me, dug a hole, and hid them in the woods:
IMAG0545.jpg

P.S. I am still in the no-ace club as well... been playing for about 6 years now :(

PS2: here is my current bag

for the most part, yeah, winter frolf here is a snowy mess. this past winter was an exception, but i only made it out a couple times.
love the kegs in the woods, man! i'm in the process of converting my rolling Igloo cooler into a kegerator for 3 gal cornies, should be a nice addition to the course!!

We had a very mild winter here too... I did not have to break out the ribbons once ;)

I brought a 3 gallon keg to our Ice Bowl a few weeks back... that one was easily concealed in the back of my jeep though. OUr club is the Fighting Llamas... hence the Llama themed names. The ice bowl beer was "Llama Butt"

nice! if we have more winters like this last one, i'll be more of a winter frolfer. but the normal couple feet of snow pack we get really takes away from the game on the longer, more rugged courses.

here's my current bag.

I too am a member of the no Ace club. I've put three or four off of the pin but haven't had one go in the basket yet. I started playing about six years ago when I moved to Portland, Oregon. The course I usually play is called Pier Park and it's pretty much heaven on Earth. My old roomie and I would stop by the McMenamins close to the course in the morning and grab some 22s and then play a round or two.
When I first started playing I would frequent the closest course which has water all around it. After losing a couple of discs I decided I would by an Innova Dragon (the one that floats) and wouldn't you know my very first toss with that disc went off of a tree and ended up about 25' in the lake. It floated there for a while taunting me.
I mainly throw Innova discs and I prefer the Valkarie for my driver, the Coyote for my mid-range and a Discraft Soft Magnet for my putter. I absolutely love all three of those discs and probably won't be changing my bag much.

I started playing last year. I only got about a half dozen rounds in before I tore my ACL (playing basketball, not disc golf). Needless to say, I'm still a complete noob and trying to find the right discs for me - all Innova at the moment. We do have a nice little complex here in a county park - Seth Burton Memorial DGC and Orange Crush.

love that course, even tho it's taken more discs from me than many others. i've put two in that mud swamp behind the 5th green, and then the 15th.... the one with the basket right on the drop into the deep part of the creek... that's one of the holes i've d@mn near aced, right through the chains and into the water :mad: i did find a like new Cryzstal Avenger SS hang in' out in a tree on the 11th the last time i played there! i'm very much looking forward playing there next time i'm visiting my family in DFW.
speaking of Dallas courses, have you played B.B. Owen? right off 635 and Plano Rd.... great course, nothing real technical, just alotta fun.

My school used to be right by BB so I have played that course more than all the other Dallas courses combined =P. It was a nice course for a relaxing round. Challenging at times but no fear of losing discs.

My school used to be right by BB so I have played that course more than all the other Dallas courses combined =P. It was a nice course for a relaxing round. Challenging at times but no fear of losing discs.

Yeah, that's what I love about that course. a few nice bomber holes on the front 9 and an easy, relaxing back 9. And the '19th hole' down by the creek, the one with the keg for a basket, gotta love that!! :mug: My brother lives right down the road from BB, so we always get a few rounds in there when I'm down there visiting.

Just started in August. Still using a lot of Innova DX till I settle on drivers to get in premium plastic. Actually, I'm liking the DX even though I have noticed it takes more damage from trees and rocks than any makers premium. That's why I'm looking at changing drivers to more durable plastic.

Another benefit of the nicer plastics is that their flight doesn't change over time as quickly.

I've been playing a few years now. Payed like mad the first and second years. Didn't play at all last year. Took my discs on a recent trip to TN and played The Sinks. Lost my 2 favorite Discs. A Skeeter I can replace and a Special Edition Nuke that I got at a local Winter Tourney. Can't replace that one :mad:

NordeastBrewer77 - have you played Town Lake in McKinney? If not your should give it a go sometime during your next visit. I have yet to play Bear Creek so I can't compare. Nice thing about Town Lake is when you're done you can go to the other side of 75 and play a quick round at Alex Clark.

:mug:

Bear Creek is nice. Absolutely festooned in poisonous plants, but nice. It was last year, anyway.

I have a Skeeter. It's ok.

NordeastBrewer77 - have you played Town Lake in McKinney? If not your should give it a go sometime during your next visit. I have yet to play Bear Creek so I can't compare. Nice thing about Town Lake is when you're done you can go to the other side of 75 and play a quick round at Alex Clark.

:mug:

I haven't thrown there yet, I know my bro and I took a look at it on DGCReview.com, but never made it out there to play. I'll keep it in mind next time I'm down there. When ya get a chance, throw a round at Bear Creek, it's a great course. Just take it easy around the creek, it's deep and swallows discs. There's also a small part time pond by the 5th basket that's murky and covered in duckweed, so it's near impossible to find a disc once it goes in... just ask my old XL and Omega. :D

Bear Creek is nice. Absolutely festooned in poisonous plants, but nice. It was last year, anyway.

I have a Skeeter. It's ok.

Also, this^ couldn't be more true. Long pants or socks are a must. As for the Skeeter, never have been a fan. The DC Buzzz was my main middy until I got a Ching Legacy last spring.... the Legacy's amazing, super versatile, I use it as a mid, a putter and off the tee on shorter holes. Love that thing! :mug:

Haven't tried and Ching. A few Discraft. Mostly an Innova guy. Though I must say, the DC XL and Avenger are very nice.

I really need to pick my discs up again. I haven't played in over a year. I miss it. :(

Ever played Idlewild? It is the most beautiful course I've ever seen.

Fauxsho said:
I really need to pick my discs up again. I haven't played in over a year. I miss it. :(

Ever played Idlewild? It is the most beautiful course I've ever seen.

In northern KY? I've been once, it was awesome! I plan on going back soon.
I'm down in Lexington area, anyone around there?

Alright discing brewers! I've also been disc golfing just a few years. I play real uncomplicated disc golf-no shoes, no bag (well sometimes a beer cooler bag, but no disc bag). So I only carry 3-4 discs. Usually my Champion Orc, Champion Eagle, Buzz SS and some tourney putter I haven't bothered to identify but have been using for the whole time I've played. I went out for my first round of the year yesterday actually.

I never knew disc folders had different discs for driving, putting, etc... There's a couple courses near the house and I've been wanting to try it. Now it got complicated. Y'all enjoy and I'll be back once the course is free of snow and I can give it a shot!

I used to use a putter but couldn't really find one I liked. I started with the Innova Aviar which I was really inconsistent with. Then I went to a DGA Titanic, which I liked at first but the lip is pretty large and the wind likes to take it to 2-3 putt bogeyland. Purchased the Ching Juju and gave it to the dog when it arrived, lol. (This thing is a joke, it's like throwing a breast implant)

I've used my midrange to putt since I realized putters are overrated and it really improved my game. (Innova Stingray - star plastic) I'd be comfortable saying that this is probably the most important disc in my bag. I love it.

I never knew disc folders had different discs for driving, putting, etc... There's a couple courses near the house and I've been wanting to try it. Now it got complicated. Y'all enjoy and I'll be back once the course is free of snow and I can give it a shot!

It can get complicated sometimes. Especially getting into discs being over-stable, under-stable, stable etc. When I first started I just bought discs I thought looked sweet, haha. After a while you start understanding your style and what you want in your equipment.

Haven't tried and Ching. A few Discraft. Mostly an Innova guy. Though I must say, the DC XL and Avenger are very nice.

Oh yeah, the Avenger SS is my go to for long, straight drives, the CryZtal Avenger SS is my go to for long, dogleg drives. Amazing discs!! I use an XL a lot as well, I mainly throw lefty forehand, but the XL is my go to for any long, backhand shot... I like the Xpress too, but the XL seems to glide and carry further. :mug:

Nah, it's not complicated. :mug: If you're just starting out, a basic (preferably stable-ish) driver and a nice, soft putter are really all ya need. I played with 3 discs for years, and loved the game. It's only in the last 5 years or so that I've gotten to a point where I'm playing seriously and carrying discs for every type of shot. And still, if I'm just playing for fun, I carry a couple drivers, a mid and a putter.

Ahhhhh, three day weekend and I'm taking advantage of this gorgeous Monday. Gonna throw Acorn Park in St. P. this afternoon. I've been playing courses that are new for me so far this spring and I'm really looking forward to huckin' a familiar course. :tank:

Wanted to throw today. It's raining here in Racine , WI but it's 420 and tradition says I should disc golf.

You should've.... we usually throw the morning of the 20th before starting the festivities, but skipped out on it this year to take advantage of a great 'early bird' sale at a local shop. :D Very much worth it! :rockin: Of course it rained for the rest of the weekend, so today's our honorary 4/20 round.

Oh man, it has been atleast 4-5 years since I have disc golfed. I can't even remember the type of discs I had. I definitely had 2 drivers and a putter that I would use for approach/mid-range shots as well. But I guess I have to ask this question, are tomahawks (or overhand throws) legal? Because the only time I have ever aced a hole was when I threw it tomahawk style over a tree and into the basket.

Sippin37 said:
Oh man, it has been atleast 4-5 years since I have disc golfed. I can't even remember the type of discs I had. I definitely had 2 drivers and a putter that I would use for approach/mid-range shots as well. But I guess I have to ask this question, are tomahawks (or overhand throws) legal? Because the only time I have ever aced a hole was when I threw it tomahawk style over a tree and into the basket.

Any throw is legal as long as you release at or before the lie. I think there might be a rule for a run up distance when not throwing from the tee box.

Any throw is legal as long as you release at or before the lie. I think there might be a rule for a run up distance when not throwing from the tee box.

Except on putts. You have to "demonstrate balance" or something along those lines on putts, which I think they define as within 30 feet.

BrewKnurd said:
Except on putts. You have to "demonstrate balance" or something along those lines on putts, which I think they define as within 30 feet.

I believe you are correct, no "falling putts", I'm sure there are many more small rules, but I just do general play and don't really care. I do know if a disc is 6ft or higher in a tree/bush, it is considered a drop to retrieve it even if you can reach and grab it. Anything under it is considered a regular lie.

Yep, inside 10 meters feet must remain planted until you release, and the follow through can't carry you over the lie (falling putt). I actually got called on that after stumbling over my marker on a long putt.
I couldn't find anything in the PDGA rules about 'walking up' on a fairway throw, or other non tee box throw, so I'd assume that outside of 10 meters all throws are legal as long as the disc is released at or behind the lie, and a supporting point is at or behind the lie and on the ground at the time of release. Personally, I just make sure I'm well behind my lie if I need to step into a fairway throw.
On the note of strange rules, one of my faves is the 'broken disc' rule, 803.03 'e', if a disc breaks in flight, the largest part of the shattered disc is considered the lie.

Back