California common off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfish67

Reaction score
So I brewed a California common. And it has a sort of metallic flavor to it. Any ideas where this came from. I was thinking it was from the water (used unfiltered tap water). Usually brew with a friend at his place and he had a filter. Temp during 2weeks in primary was 65 give or take a degree. Temp in the basement dropped during secondary. Got down to about 58 or so. Used wyeast 2112. Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same problem on an IPA this last summer. Never figured it out and never had a repeat problem.

Agreed with water issue. Hoppy beers are especially subject to water chemistry, but a Common is also pretty subject to the water.

Reading these posts I realize how having only one decent brew shop in the country (Norway) is compensated by having one of the most high quality tap water.

Agreed with water issue, though...

+1 on water. Do you happen to know the iron content and pH of your tap water?

No I don't. A friend had it tested and said that our city water was good to use though. Yet he still filters his. Lesson learned...I will be buying a filter. Any suggestions? Or should I just use bottled water?

Latest posts

Back