Cake pan + skateboard wheel + bike brakes = homemade peristaltic pump??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could restrict the output to some degree as long as the pressure in the line is below the burst pressure of the tubing. The tubing expands even with minimal pressure so it may complicate other things. RPMs, pump head diameter, and tubing size are the main ways to control flow rate.

My mom was gonna toss a spring form pan due to some surface rust...looks like I have to build this, now, since I have a free pan ;-)

I think I'll repurpose a Harbor freight variable drill for a motor...

These are great. I just finished two and can't wait to use them. I just need a more permanent motor than my portable drill.

These are great. I just finished two and can't wait to use them. I just need a more permanent motor than my portable drill.

Man, I am going to be beaten to the punch on these. Best of luck!

I haven't had spare time to post any updates but I have been busy working on this and other parts of my brewery. Just ordered the circuit boards for my main controller as well as some other items in the brewery.

I finally settled on using a PIC18F for the stepper motor controls, it should be a month before the boards arrive and I can assemble them to start testing.

It has been a while since I have updated here. I have two pumps built and used one of them regularly as I brewed 5 batches over the holidays. There were a couple tweeks here and there but by the last batch I was gaining confidence to leave the pump unattended for small amounts of time. The tube minder(s) are critical for this design as is the angle in which the tubes are secured at the entrance and exit. If they are slanted the wheels try to push the tubing out of the pump head. The spring form pan latch is a bit suspect so I secured it in place with a couple zip-ties wrapped around the outside of the pan. I can slide the zip-tie off the latch when it needs to be opened.

Opening the latch on the cake pan makes it really easy to disengage the wheels from the tubing so liquid can gravity drain or a second pump can be in control. There is still work to be done and I feel convinced a windshield wiper motor would be powerful enough to run this. I typically set the speed to 50-70RPMs and achieve strong flows, roughly comparable to my Chugger pump.

Here is a video of it transferring from the brew kettle to the ferementer through a filter and plate chiller:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X07-Ri0zPkQ"][YOUTUBE]X07-Ri0zPkQ[/YOUTUBE][/ame]

TheFlyingBeer, can you put up some pics. nice close ups would be good. Any way you could post your 3D model also. I'm getting things together to make one and would love to look at in 3D.

BrewOn
Craigbrew

The springs to prevent kinking on your tubing connections are a nice touch.

I might have mentioned them in my brewery build thread. Either way they are 3/4" PrimoChill Anti-Kink Coils. They are intended for use in water cooling PC's but have worked very well for brewing. They get slightly relaxed when boiling liquids flow through the tubing but still perform. Only $3.99 per coil, I bought 2 coils and still have left overs.

TheFlyingBeer, can you put up some pics. nice close ups would be good. Any way you could post your 3D model also.

I am on travel right now but when I return home I should be able to produce parts lists and some 3D models. I chose to order all of the nuts and bolts from McMaster and they are all stainless. SS isn't necessary but it makes it easier to clean up if any mess occurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
FlyingBeer, I would like to stay in the loop on this. My thought was to use this type of pump to PULL my hot wort from kettle-strainer-chiller-therm-fermentor. With pump next to fermentor i can get all the sweet wort i work so hard for. I just see so much go to waste with the standard pumps.

FlyingBeer, are you back from traveling yet? still putting things together but would love the 3D models.

CraigBrew

Wow! I love it! I especially like the "organic" quality the whole contraption has. The spring anti-kink gives the tubes a kind of "alive" look. Like a massive artificial heart.

Reviving an old thread to show off some improvements. I love this design. Copied it about a year ago. First attempt failed because the spring form pan was too flexible and caused huge issues. Replaced pan with 9" brake drum from a junk yard off an old ford truck. It's powered by a tread mill motor with a v-belt attached to the spindle (motor also runs my grain mill before any pumping gets done).

I've never had a pump other than this one and I'm super happy with it. Just replaced the tube for the first time in 11 months (close to 15 brews!). Definitely beats buying a new head and just as good as a stainless head replacement as far as food grade materials go.

20121006_173743.jpg

20121125_194928.jpg

Awesome work carkom. I have not been brewing much this year but have also been searching for a more robust head to replace the cake pans. The brakedrum looks like a perfect replacement. Glad to hear it is working for you.

It looks great, do you know flow rate and how high can you pump with it?

I tested flow rate when I first made it. Got 4-5 GPM comfortably and didn't want to push it any farther. I'm in the process of changing out the one tube (only thing that wears out). I'll see how it does with a stress test and see how far I can push it.

I've only ever used it to pump about 3' up to my system. I'll string some hoses together and test that as well. What's normal for a chugger or march pump?

The brakedrum looks like a perfect replacement.

Drilling the holes through it was the only difficult part. Tried to angle them in so that the hose wasn't getting pinched. Works as good as can be expected.

Carkom
I am thinking about trying my hand at this but had some questions.
You said springform pan caused issues what were they?
Also did you use 73mm wheels?
I have been pricing it out and those wheels are the most expensive part. I might get my form and rotors and see if i can get away with smaller wheels after measuring.

Spring form pan started bending and flexing causing the tube to not get fully closed. I used 70mm wheels, got em for $23 for 4 on ebay. I found some old ford truck drums (9 inches) for $9 for 2 (4.50 each) at a junk yard

what about using a deeper large frying pan instead of the cake pan?

That may work, but I think you want the sides of your "pan" to be parallel to the axis of your drive................Less likely to "walk" itself out of the pan.

I know it has roller "followers" to contain the tube, but me thinks straight sides might work more better!:D

That may work, but I think you want the sides of your "pan" to be parallel to the axis of your drive................Less likely to "walk" itself out of the pan.

I know it has roller "followers" to contain the tube, but me thinks straight sides might work more better!:D

That's what I mean though, a pan with really deep sides, which should be parallel. Hmm... I wonder if a large piece of PVC would work?

No reason why not!
Large PVC and the appropriate cap for the "drive" end to hold the motor shaft.

Now ya' got ME thinkin' on the PVC!

I've been looking at brake drums, small alloy wheels, and any other round scrap items that might be in the "honey holes",( scrap bins here at work).

I have a stupid question maybe someone could clear up for me. I'm confused about the metal disc that connects the mountain bike disc brakes to the axle screw. I don't think it's mentioned in the parts list on the first page, and none of the disc brakes I see online seem to include this part. What's the name of this part/where can I find it?

Looking back, it looks to be some type of large washer, large enough to pick up the existing holes in the brake disc, after securing it "true" to the center hole in the disc.

What are the motor requirements for this pump? I was leaning toward a windshield wiper motor but are the 70 or so rpms enough?

I have a stupid question maybe someone could clear up for me. I'm confused about the metal disc that connects the mountain bike disc brakes to the axle screw. I don't think it's mentioned in the parts list on the first page, and none of the disc brakes I see online seem to include this part. What's the name of this part/where can I find it?

Stealth is right, mine is just a large washer welded to the bike brakes.

two additional wheels will increase friction and decrease volume-per-turn.
but even just one would make the whole mechanism more balanced.
(…and propably much extend its lifetime.)

So after this length of time, how are these pumps holding up? Happy with them? Would you recommend to a friend? Etc

I was thinking about replacing the nylon rollers with wider skateboard wheels (if they exist) that have been turned on a lathe to cup and center the tubing. The guide wheels could be running along the wall to help keep the pan from deforming.

Yes there are much wider longboard wheels, I was a longboarder for many years until I broke too many bones. Go for a pair of 78mm sector 9's. Just make sure the bearings are centered because most longboard wheels are offset for increased stability.

I have an "Off Shoot" project which might employ a P-Pump as a Lever "Wrench Drive ."

It would involve oscillating/alternating strokes of a Rowing, Oar-Like handle to provide Bi-Directional Clutch/Brake power for a Vehicle.

Can we Chat about your device?

I also would like to know what CAD program you use? I am on Autodesk INVENTOR 2017.

[email protected]

Shelburne,VT

QUANTUM RUNNER JACK SHAFT.jpg

HOW RATCHET WRENCHES WORK.JPG

4 in Brake Drum and Band.JPG

ROWING HANDLE RING.JPG

Back