C02 (am I being taken?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoNova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just swapped my first CO2 tank and want to be sure I'm not being ripped off.

The charge to swap out my (new) empty 5lb tank for (used) filled tank was $12.60. Seemed reasonable.

However, I got hit with a $7.50 "hazardous materials charge" which didn't seem reasonable. But maybe this is common???

that is a legit charge. most places just wont tell you about it. they will just add it to the total.

it all depends where you go and where in the country you live. i have notices people in the northeast are paying around $20 for a 5# while people in the southerst are paying under $10.

my company charges $20. no one has complained, and no one has come in saying that they have found it cheaper anywhere.

I get a 20lb tank exchanged for $23 and change at Tech Air. I have 2 now just picked up another 20lb tank with reg ,hose and Sanke tap for 50$ ... And its just about full.

also, 5# co2 tanks are a big rip. they more you buy, the cheaper it is. our price for 5# is $20 while our price for a 20# is $28

dang i get my 10# filled for 8 bucks
but then i live in Oklahoma the reddest state there is
i am never been charged a "hazardous materials charge"
thanks al gore for making yeast farts a consern for hazmat

I plan on buying a 20# in the future to store out of site in the basement and refill my 5# from it to store in the keezer. But I think I need to refill my 5#'r soon. How many kegs do you usually all get from a 5#er? including carbing and serving.

I got charge $12 for a 7.5lb CO2 tank exchange the other day but when I got home it only had 750 psi in the thing!

I got charge $12 for a 7.5lb CO2 tank exchange the other day but when I got home it only had 750 psi in the thing!

Uhh... "PSI" is pressure, not weight, and has more to do with the temperature of the tank than anything. The CO2 gas is sold by weight; if you want to know whether you got ripped off or not, weigh the tank, and subtract off the tare weight that is stamped on the neck of the bottle.

where you getting yours filled at?

Mine was 16 bucks for a 5# tank, not too bad I think since it will probably last a long time. That hazmat charge seems like a lot, but since co2 is a compressed gas and hazardous to your health if exposed to a lot of it maybe the reason it is considered hazmat.

750 psi is right on for tank pressure after being filled. i am surprised it wasnt closer to 500 right after. it will get up to close to 900ish psi at room temp. its liquid, just like propane, so pressure really means nothing.

7 dollars total to refill a 5 pounder here, 10 bucks total to refill a 10 pounder (Cincinnati)

The hazmat charge is total BS. It's not a tax or a government fee of any kind, though most people think it is. It's a surcharge that many gas supplier pass on to cover the expenses of their hazmat compliance costs. If you look at the back of your invoice there should be an explanation. They can basically charge fees for pretty much anything they want to.

$7.50 is excessive and abusive. I would shop around if I were you. I work for a welding supply company, and our hazmat charge is $2.00, which I always remove for walk-in customers.

BTW. Carbon Dioxide is a hazardous material and all cylinders should be treated with care whether they are empty or full. CO2 gas can displace oxygen in a confined space. Liquid or solid CO2 can cause frost bite instantly. And cylinders and dewars can explode if handled or transported improperly.

:off:

I plan on buying a 20# in the future to store out of site in the basement and refill my 5# from it to store in the keezer.
Do you need any special set up to transfer? Just connect the two together with high pressure hose and let the pressure equalize?

Edit:
Need something like a paint ball refill station?

Filling a tank is always cheaper than exchanging a tank.

Do you need any special set up to transfer? Just connect the two together with high pressure hose and let the pressure equalize?

Edit:
I've not looked into it as it's down the list of brew projects under EHLT and basic brew stand, but I would assume it would be similar to a paintball fill station setup with the proper valve fittings for the tanks. Same principle.

7 dollars total to refill a 5 pounder here, 10 bucks total to refill a 10 pounder (Cincinnati)

Where are you going in Cincinnati?

I go to SparklingCarbonic in Glendale. I can not remember what I exactly pay but I would like to know where you are going.

Edit:

BigKahuna has a tutorial on this somewhere.

But yes I use a paintball fill station, turn the big tank upside down and turn everything on.

Where are you going in Cincinnati?

I go to SparklingCarbonic in Glendale. I can not remember what I exactly pay but I would like to know where you are going.

Sparkling Carbonics is exactly where Im going. I refilled both a 5 and a ten pounder recently. So they are accurate prices.
They have decent prices on full tanks there as well. They sell full 5 and ten pounders for 55 dollars. They are the same price.

it all depends where you go and where in the country you live. i have notices people in the northeast are paying around $20 for a 5# while people in the southerst are paying under $10.

my company charges $20. no one has complained, and no one has come in saying that they have found it cheaper anywhere.

Maybe you know where I can get mine filled or exchanged in the Pittsburgh area. THe local "Ice" compay went under and I'm not sure where my next fill is coming from. :)

i am not sure around pittsburg. try a fire extinguisher place? i am in the philly area.

i know airgas is everywhere

Back