Bypass Temperature Control on Kenmore Wine Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcadieux

Reaction score
So I bought a used Kenmore Wine fridge, model 461.99610. My goal was to use it for lagering. Problem is the control panel is a wreck, you can't read the numbers, also it doesn't appear to get colder than 5c.

What I would like to do is somehow bypass it's internal temperature probe and use my STC-1000 to control the temperature.

Was wondering if anyone had an idea how to do this?

I could possibly cut the power cable and splice it directly to the compressor but I'm not convinced it's the best way.

Ideas?

You can wire into the compressor direct - this is the only way to preserve the door light if that's important to you - look at wiring diagram to find the leads for the compressor rather than cutting the main cable - most of these things are very simple design and it's not difficult to figure out the wiring of them with a good light, a diagram and some patience.

you can also bypass the thermostat by jumpering the right wires in the connectors (or cutting and splicing, which is more permanent, less reversible), again turning it into an always on system and then controlling with the sct-1000

The thermostat assembly with temp probe is usually inside a fixture mounted to the ceiling inside the unit, the thermostat and internal probe are here. The thermostat is just a simple circuit, so use the wiring diagram to figure out which wires to jumper to basically bypass that circuit and make it an always on system.

Back