BYO Article on Gose May/June 2011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chask31

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just read through my BYO and have never heard of Gose. The article is available on BYO's website for those non-subscribers. I had some questions about the recipe. The recipe has you mash all grains but the acidulated malt for 60 min and then add the acidulated malt to the mash for an additional 45 minutes. That means you are mashing the grains for 1:45. I was wondering if you can mash all grains but acidulated malt for 1hr, and mash the acidulated malt separately in a smaller pot for 45 minutes.

Is mashing all the grains for 1 hour plus 45 minutes too long? If I do it the way I mentioned above, will the 1 hour mash for the grain be too short?

This will be my first all grain (after 6 years of extract brewing)

I believe that the point of adding the acid malt after the mash is so that the lacto that cover the acid malt have something to feed on (i.e. the wort).

I thinking of doing that recipe, except instead of the acid malt, I'm going to mash in some of the grains at 130 and leave it overnight, then do a seperate mash with the rest of the grains.

Rather than using the acid malt, it's supposed to encourage lactic acid production naturally. I've never tried it, but it's well documented and I've read about it in many different articles and books. I'm also going to try that on a Berliner Weiss. Supposedly the lactic acid character that an overnight, low-temp mash produces is much more natural and appropriate to the styles than that which is produced by using acid malt or directly adding lactic acid.

I think the point of doing it that way in the listed article was do keep the acid from messing up the PH in the mash while your basic conversion is going on. I'm sure you could mash the acidulated grain seperately, but you might miss some of the synergetics of combining the acidulated and mashing for extra time.

The extra time at the end of the standard mash wont hurt it. It may drop the FG, but that beer is claimed to be a dry style anyhow.

I also saved that recipe, and I'm thinking of breing it myself! Let me know how it goes!

Nice... I was planning a Gose recipe, but it's nice to have a more reliable source to help with the authenticity. Thanks for posting this!

Airborneguy said:
Rather than using the acid malt, it's supposed to encourage lactic acid production naturally. I've never tried it, but it's well documented and I've read about it in many different articles and books. I'm also going to try that on a Berliner Weiss. Supposedly the lactic acid character that an overnight, low-temp mash produces is much more natural and appropriate to the styles than that which is produced by using acid malt or directly adding lactic acid.

Not sure about Gose, but a Berliner Weisse sour mash really need 2 or 3 days to get to an appropriate level... doing it just overnight is going to result in a very underwhelming tartness.

I didn't know that. Does lactic acid work that slow? After 2-3 days, are we talking La Folie' (not sure if you've had this, but it's from New Belgium and tastes like Sour Patch Kids) tart or less/more

Airborneguy said:
I didn't know that. Does lactic acid work that slow? After 2-3 days, are we talking La Folie' (not sure if you've had this, but it's from New Belgium and tastes like Sour Patch Kids) tart or less/more

Never had it, but should be significantly less. I'm not sure how lacto even continues to produce in such an acidic environment, it almost sounds like they're at least partially adding straight lactic acid to the beer.

Just brewed this according to the recipe in the article. Tasted a sample from the secondary after 7 days and it's not sour enough for my taste. This should really be made with lacto and not acidulated malt in my opinion. The flavors are there but no real tartness and I increased the acidulated malt by a half pound.

Haven't brewed this yet, but it's on my radar. Berliner Weiss's (which I have brewed) are definitely less sour than La Follie. Gose's are supposed to be around the same sour level. (I'm lucky that a couple of local breweries make Goses.)

Another option to try to increase the sourness is to add some food grade lactic acid to the mix at bottling. I did that to kick up the sourness on my first berliner.

Thakog said:
Haven't brewed this yet, but it's on my radar. Berliner Weiss's (which I have brewed) are definitely less sour than La Follie. Gose's are supposed to be around the same sour level. (I'm lucky that a couple of local breweries make Goses.)

Another option to try to increase the sourness is to add some food grade lactic acid to the mix at bottling. I did that to kick up the sourness on my first berliner.

How much fg lactic should be added at bottling? I'm about to try this method and want a nice sour flavor without overdoing it. Thanks!

ldo2626 said:
How much fg lactic should be added at bottling? I'm about to try this method and want a nice sour flavor without overdoing it. Thanks!

Depends on where it's at. The best way is to try adding a little bit to small samples, and once you decide on the best amount, scaling it up from there.

My gose just finished bottle conditioning and I have been drinking it over that last couple weekends. I think it's very good. I went the acidulated malt route, used 2 lbs. I think it could use a little more lactic bite. The beer itself, has a traditional grainy, semi-tart wheat character, with a pretty strong coriander presence, giving it a mixed-berry, fruity flavor and aroma. The saltiness is actually evident, it brings a mild-mineral flavor giving the beer that sort of drying, salty mouthfeel. I used Hawaiian Black Lava Salt, so that may explain the mineral flavor. Overall I think the three flavor compounds combine to make a very delicious beer. I'm happy I made it and will most likely brew it again with a bit more acidulated malt.

sir-brews-alot said:
my gose just finished bottle conditioning and i have been drinking it over that last couple weekends. I think it's very good. I went the acidulated malt route, used 2 lbs. I think it could use a little more lactic bite. The beer itself, has a traditional grainy, semi-tart wheat character, with a pretty strong coriander presence, giving it a mixed-berry, fruity flavor and aroma. The saltiness is actually evident, it brings a mild-mineral flavor giving the beer that sort of drying, salty mouthfeel. I used hawaiian black lava salt, so that may explain the mineral flavor. Overall i think the three flavor compounds combine to make a very delicious beer. I'm happy i made it and will most likely brew it again with a bit more acidulated malt.

+1

I made 10 gals after getting inspired by this article, the first keg is gone. It's been getting very nice reviews from taster, but none have mentioned the word "tart or sour". I would like a bit more sour to it if/ when I get around to brewing it again.

Back