Buying Perlick faucets and shanks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apo09283

Reaction score
I am ready to buy faucets and shanks :)rockin:) but I have three questions. 1) I'm going with Perlicks but cannot decide between the 575s, 525ss, 425ss. I'm leaning towards the 425ss because of the removable spout for sanitation. 2) My fridge door is 3" thick and I'd like to keep the shanks as short as possible. How are the shanks measured? Overall length? For a 3" thick door how long should the shanks be? 3) Are 45 or 90 degree barbed nipples available for the shanks?
Thanks,
Bill

Good choice on the perlicks. In my opinion, the removable spout is worthless. It's nice if you plan on bottling from the keg since they sell attatchments to hook a hose up...other than that, as long as you clean your lines after each keg, it's no big deal.

As for shanks...you can get them as short as you want, but keep in mind that the longer the shank, the colder your faucet will stay. This will help cut down on foam issues. I'd go with at least a 6" shank if you have a 3" door.

Yes, 90 degree nipples are available. I believe micromatic sells them.

I would highly recommended the 425's. I bought the 525's and I hate them, I call them perleaks. They drip way to much for new faucets. If I hadn't gave my 425's away, i'd switch back in a heartbeat. Cheaper is seldom better.

My Perlick 425 ss faucets arrived today. I've been using my kegerator with pick nick taps for a year or so and the upgrade is going to be nice.

I have a few more questions if I may. Right now the fridge holds 5 kegs but I believe that if I remove the form fit plastic door insert (on the inside) and replace it with something flat I can squeeze a sixth keg in there. What do you guys use to replace the plastic insert. I was thinking Lexan but they are awfully proud of that stuff! ($$$)

Also, I am in need of an all stainless 6 faucet, wall mount drip tray but I'd rather not spend as much on it as I did for the 6 faucets I just bought. Any ideas?

Bill

Right now the fridge holds 5 kegs but I believe that if I remove the form fit plastic door insert (on the inside) and replace it with something flat I can squeeze a sixth keg in there. What do you guys use to replace the plastic insert. I was thinking Lexan but they are awfully proud of that stuff! ($$$)

Bill

I used 1/8" melamine coated hardboard for the door of my fermentation fridge. It cost about $8 for a sheet, and it works great.

Back