Buying my first car, anyone have an extra Carfax?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbudtwo

Reaction score
So,
I am finally doing it.
Getting my first car all for my lonesome. Before, and until now, I have been using a salvaged beater that my parents got for me as my first car, and somehow has survived. However, I do want to make sure that it will all be good and I don't get screwed over. If someone has any extra carfax reports they would be willing to share I would appreciate it.

Btw, its a 350z :D

Go to a dealer website that gives free Car Fax Reports. Click on their link. In the address bar, replace their VIN number with your VIN number. It almost always works. Try a few different sites if you have trouble.

Go to a dealer website that gives free Car Fax Reports. Click on their link. In the address bar, replace their VIN number with your VIN number. It almost always works. Try a few different sites if you have trouble.

Damn that's slick! I'll try that one!

As a previous car lot owner. Car faxes are only accurate if the body or mechanic shop reports the work done. Look under the hood at all the quarter panel bolts. Any paint missing? Then the fenders have been off. Look at the radiator and make sure fresh green or red coolant is in there and not water or brown crap. Look at oil and make sure you see no lighter opaque oil on the cap as this could be a missed sign of a bad head gasket coverup. Smell the exhaust quickly and make sure you don't smell antifreeze. Make sure all the lights come on in the dash when you turn key to acc. Look at tires and make sure the inside or outside of the tread isn't worn more than the rest or it will need an alignment Feel for paint lights inside doors and trunks where they may have taped off the car for paintwork ( a minor Wreck that wasn't turned in to insurance or filed with the 5.0 won't show on carfax.

It appears that carfax has changed their encryption. The VIN number is encoded with a bunch of |...|......|. Sorry for any incovenience, I just bought a truck in October and it was not like this.

lex990: great advice! A CarFax is pretty weak, just the beginning of the process.

Back