Buying Crystal malt in bulk - Home kilning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Brewzer

Reaction score
Well, I am getting ready to put together a bulk order, and I am debating whether or not to get a bag of Crystal malt. I was thinking I might be able to get a sack of 10L or 20L crystal, and oven-kiln at home to darker varieties as I need it. Has anyone had success with this? How difficult is it to kiln at home? How do you measure the color at home, just eyeball it?

I don't know but why are you buying crystal malt in bulk? Especially if it isn't exactly what you want. If you need Crystal 80 buy it. Taking Crystal 10 and then hoping to home kiln it is not very smart. Any money you might save by buying Crystal 10 in bulk will be offset by the time/energy it takes to try to kiln it yourself. The only way I would buy any specialty malt in bulk is if I brewed a "house beer" that I always had on hand and even then it would take a long, long time to go through a 50 lb sack of crystal malt.

Research how crystal malt is processed and you'll see that even if you get maybe the same color from roasting in your oven, it will not be the same flavor. And as Brother Phunhog says, it will take you along time to go through that much crystal as well.

Well that's why I was asking, I had no idea if it was worth the effort or if I would even get the same results. Normally I wouldnt do the specialty grains either, but I can get a bag of 10l for $25 right now, but not worth the storage space of I can't kiln it to the varieties I usually use.

Latest posts

Back