Buying Bottles from the Bars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxduff

Reaction score
I did a little searching before posting but didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I feel bad because I'm probably just an awful searcher, so sorry ahead of time.

Is it pretty safe to buy bottles from a bar or bottle recycling center? Where I go to school there are 15 bars on the main strip, plus equally as many off Bridge Street around town. I figure someone wouldn't mind being given cash for some of their bottles. I was planning on rinsing all of the bottles out, soaking them in sanitizer, and then rinsing them again. I just don't feel like spending a fortune on bottles.

Thanks,
wxduff

Make friends with a bartender and I'm sure they'd set aside the non-twist offs for you if you're a good tipper. As far as cleaning them, let them soak in oxyclean for a little while, then rinse well. It will clean the insides as well as remove the labels. A quick rinse in sanitizer on bottling day and you'll be good to go.

Yeah i just had the bartenders here at my work save the empty 22oz bottles we had on special for me so I could bottle my xmas gifts for everyone. Over the course of a week i ended up with 2 cases worth of bottles. Just soaked em in a tub of water and oxi clean to clean em out and remove the labels

IU was given about 400 bottles from a bar in Salt Lake City. I just posted up and said i was looking fro bottles and the owner was really good about setting them off to the side for me. i used them for about a year then started kegging. so i gave them to anouther new brewer...

Back