But I don't wanna...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgrumbrews

Reaction score
So, I have found myself ready to start my next batch of beer, a pumpkin ale. As I took inventory of my supplies I came to the realization that I have let myself get lazy in regards to cleaning labels off bottles as I buy them. It would be an understatement to say that I have quite a few. I was wondering if anyone had some tips and or tricks other than soaking in hot water and scraping.

So, I have found myself ready to start my next batch of beer, a pumpkin ale. As I took inventory of my supplies I came to the realization that I have let myself get lazy in regards to cleaning labels off bottles as I buy them. It would be an understatement to say that I have quite a few. I was wondering if anyone had some tips and or tricks other than soaking in hot water and scraping.

Soak in oxyclean for an hour and they'll fall off.

One step or Strait A work pretty good. Just soak overnight and the labels come right off. You may have to scrub a little of the glue off, but it comes off very easy as well. Whole lot better than plain old hot water. I've also heard that wall paper remover from the hardware store works really well too.

+1 on Oxyclean and some hot/warm water. After an hour or so the labels slide right off.

I use a green scotch brite pad (or w/e it's called) after the soak and it works wonders.

I have tried both oxyclean and ammonia (not at the same time, mind you), and I have found ammonia to be way more effective. I have a bottle of industrial strength ammonia, and I just pour a little in a tub and dilute with water. Labels fall right off.

Preciate it. I'll give the ole PBW a try since I have it already. It may be a bit pricey just to take off labels but next time I won't let myself get this backed up.

Does anyone know how long a batch of PBW keeps it's strength? I ask because I'm wondering if I could make a small batch, soak a set of bottles over night then reuse the solution for more bottles.

I generally only re-use PBW that I used to clean an already pretty clean kettle or other equipment. If I use it to soak the labels off bottles it gets pretty gunky. I Don't save that stuff. As far as I know it can last a good while.. several weeks at least.

If I'm reusing it for labels again would the gunk matter much? I've never used the product before so I'm not sure what to expect.

I like to leave the labels of the really good beers. It reminds me of the original beer that came from the bottle and I get to reminisce a bit. I have cleaned bottles for giveaways, but I normally just leave the labels. Now that I keg, i'm glad I didn't waste the time cleaning all my hundreds of bottles

PBW has a component that reacts initially, and will not be there for successive uses, so it may not be as effective in subsequent batches.

Also, I am not bothered by labels, so all I do is write on a 3/4" or 1" sticker label from the office supply store, and put it on the cap.

At an earlier point,my wife complained about the hundreds of bottles I had boxed up all over the house. I made up enough PBW to cover bottles in a $5 homer cheapo bucket by 2 or 3". Soaked'em overnight,& the labels fell off. The glue dissolved or got mushy enough for a dobie & bottle brush to make very quick work of them. I used that batch of PBW for 5 weeks like that. Then duped it out & made more to finish de-labeling.
Now I just use another jug,a funnel,& a coffee filter to filter the gunk out of it. It stays quite clear,& still does a great job. I've used some batches for a few months in this fashion.

If the batch is for yourself you can always just leave the labels on. I've done it plenty of times when I didn't feel like messing with label removal right away.

If appearance matters, and sometimes it surely does, then the oxi soak makes it pretty quick and painless.

EDIT: You can also do the labels after you bottle. The cap keeps whatever you're soaking in from getting inside. It's not ideal, but I've done it a few times with no ill effects.

Well after one night of soaking in the PBW labels are starting to float to the top. I like the straining idea. I'll give it a try. Bit as of now everything is going as hoped for.

I found if you use oxyclean that if can remove the labels in about an hour. then place them back in and let soak longer. It will 'eat' most of the sticky leaving little to no work.

Some brand's glue is worse however.

+1 to oxyclean and hot water. Most of them will float right off. At the worst you'll have to wipe some glue off the bottles with a sponge cloth

Back