Burner Height????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stellaontap

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just brewed the first batch with my new brew rig (RIM system) but my BG-14 was a real pain to control. The flame was going around the side of the kettle and almost melted my sightglass and there seemed to be nothing I could do about it.....very hard to control under the BK too. I use a 30 psi regulator.

Anybody ever have similar problems and could possibly help me solve this. What distance should there be between the bottom of kettle and the burner?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers

You should be able to turn down your flame by turning the ball valve you have coming off your manifold. Were you not able to get the flame to drop down that way? What about closing your air intake on the burner itself?

When I tried to turn the flame down it was popping and backfiring lke crazy.....the neighbours already think I am a mad scientist but all that noise was even scaring me.:p The burner under the BK performed much better and ran nice and quiet, but I still could not control my boil all that well (boiling way more violently than I have ever boiled).

All that being said I am quite happy with my new system:mug: and will start tweaking today.

Eric

check the nozzle into the bg-14, if there's a leak there the gas floats around and ignites a "backfire".

On a BG-14 the optimal height has been shown to be 2" to a keggle (there's a thread around doing the tests). Flat bottom pots are 4" and what the burner was designed for (see kab-4).

check the nozzle into the bg-14, if there's a leak there the gas floats around and ignites a "backfire".

On a BG-14 the optimal height has been shown to be 2" to a keggle (there's a thread around doing the tests). Flat bottom pots are 4" and what the burner was designed for (see kab-4).

Thanks... that makes sense because it would really backfire when I tried to make a smaller flame. I think I should remove the orifice and reinstall using pipe dope.

Eric

Did you need to use much force mounting the hose?
Its easy to clog a high pressure orifice

Turning down the air should help against backfiering

I really didn't need to use a lot of force to mount the hose. I will also play with the amount of air going to the burner. Probably most of my problem will be because I have never used this type of burner.

My old turkey fryer was just crank it up and forget.....turn the regulator down if you wanted a smaller flame. These big burners seem to be a little more needy in the tuning dept.

Thanks for the suggestions, I certainly would not know have known these things. If there are any other ideas on how to make these burners run really well I would certainly love to try them out as well.

Thanks for the help:D

Eric

Back