Bumping a 1 gallon batch to 2.5 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SenorPepe

Reaction score
So I started a 1 gallon batch of draft cider (local, unpasteurized, semi-tart cider with about 1-2 grams of rehydrated S-04). SWMBO and I are both getting tired of dry ciders/wines and I planned to keep it semi-sweet using Papper's stovetop pasteurization method. But I don't want to find that by the time I have the right carbonation I have a 6 pack of bottles left. I'd like to make this into about a 2.5 gallon batch in a 3 gallon BB.

Couple questions about that: Would the yeast cake (I would either wash it or just gently stir it up into the cider and rack everything together) be enough to ferment another 1.5 gallons cleanly? I don't have another pack of 04 on hand although I can always get more.

Should I aerate or avoid it and just pitch enough yeast?

Oh, and one more thing. Pectic enzyme? Yea or nay? Don't know if it matters that I'll be heating them to 190ish.

Would the yeast cake (I would either wash it or just gently stir it up into the cider and rack everything together) be enough to ferment another 1.5 gallons cleanly? I don't have another pack of 04 on hand although I can always get more.

yes.

Hey hey. Thanks. Doing 2.5 gallon batches I don't really ever have to make starters so I'm a bit off on my yeast numbers/procedures.

i dumped 5L onto the yeast cake from the previous 5L batch with S04 once and it fermented fine. alcohol was low (6%) and the yeast seemed happy enough... pectic can't hurt but all my ciders without it have cleared perfectly in time. once it is clear it shouldn't matter if you heat it.

Back