Bulk purchases of DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbartsch

Reaction score
Right now, I don't have the time to brew AG so I'm using extract and PM recipes.

My local area brew store sells DME in no bigger than 3LBs packages that vary in cost from $12-$14 ($4.30 per pound on average before sales tax).

I have looked at some Internet options where 50LBs bags of DME are being sold for $125-$140 ($2.90 per pound on average including shipping costs).

Are you guys using bulk purchases?

I buy the 50lb bags from Mid Country Malt. They come in at 118 shipped and I have it in a few days. Splits perfectly into (2) 5 gallon Home Depot buckets. Keeping it away from moisture it will last a long time. Allowed me to stay extract while avoiding sticker shock of kits. I've found with this and bulk hops all you have to worry about is the specialty malts which is awesome.

I haven't purchased in a while, but I buy my 55# boxes from Midwestsupplies.com.

I built up a dolly (placed boards across the middle to fill in the gap) and store the boxes of DME on them. This way I can move them from the storage area to my brewing kitchen.

I made my own dolly's, buying the wheels seperately...swivel-type is best...;)), etc, for my meads and ciders. They are all 12" wide and varying lengths, 3' and 6'.

Mid Country Malt (Northern Country Malt?) must have the worst web page in history; do you need to call them to place an order for bulk DME?

Thx...

I used NC/MC Malt for my bulk DME purchases until they had a bag bust in shipping, after calling a couple times and leaving messages, sending emails, etc... ...I didn't get any response back so stopped ordering from them. I told the owner of my LHBS about my unfortunate luck and he brought his price down for me to where they were at + shipping, so I order from him now! :mug:

Maybe you could talk to your LHBS owner to see if they can order you 50lb bags of DME?

Yeah I was surprised too, no worries though it all turned out for the best. And I get to support my LHBS, they are a great group of guys!

Back