Building insulated/heated/cooled brew shed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup plus it is a common steel pattern I can pick up at the local lumbar yard. Interior will be the same white panel steel.

Added furring strips to just under 1/2 the inside, insulated 1/3 the walls. Need to add the last 2 pieces floors and my friend is bringing muscle to lift down the roll up door assembly(we removed the door tracks already). Need to add some 1/2 inch material to the window header to bring it to the right height or rip down a piece of 2x4... then I can finish insulating that little bit over the window. Then tackle ceiling insulation... then start on the interior steel which is going to be an all summer long proposition as I can afford to buy more steel. Need to build the vent hood also.

IMG_20170625_190827713_zpswvbmr56o.jpg

Flooring is all down. Won't get back to working on it until Wed then I hope to finish furring out most of it and insulate the rest of the walls. Then I can tackle the ceiling insulation which I have to cut from a 6'x60' roll(leftover from garage construction where 6' fit between the posts of the pole barn construction). Then get a vapor barrier up then I can finally start on the steel interior walls and get the sheet vinyl flooring down. Floor is ugly but at 49 cents a square foot it was affordable! And will be washable.

Floor pattern
729-4710_M9001_Swatch.jpg

All but 12 furring strips in place, ran out of materials so need to make a trip to town. Floor is all screwed down and a couple lumpy spots got extra screws today as I walked it with a level looking for uneven seams. Not going to worry about perfect but at least get it close. Ready to add more wall insulation next free day(brewing today when I get up) and Friday is going to be a trip to town to Menards for more materials. With a 60 mile round trip it is a nuisance but what I put up with for living rural and remote! one neighbor, horses across the street, farm field on 2 sides...

All the wall insulation except the piece over the electrical. I need to pull the wiring out and reroute it to a new load center. Half the ceiling insulation in. Spent the last 4 days covered in sweat and fiberglass... I ITCH! Hate that stuff! Get the last of the insulation in over the next 2 days(working overhead off a ladder is really hard on my shoulders/neck/back) then the vapor barrier plastic up. Then the girts for the wall steel and start hanging steel liner! Lot of work to get this far.

Ceiling insulation is all up, 2 walls have vapor barrier up(I ran out of plastic). Once all the vapor barrier is up I can put up the girts for the wall steel then start putting steel on the ceiling.

fUexiBm.jpg

P7VtJwQ.jpg

The ceiling insulation looks saggy because right now the only thing holding each piece in place is a piece of wire jammed in the joist space. As the plastic goes up it will flatten then the steel will push it the rest of the way in place.

Temp in there yesterday when we started on the last half of the ceiling was 102(84 outside, dark green roof and a lot of sun). Checked today, outside temps 81, inside was 75!

Back