building a wort chiller, need to bounce some ideas off you guys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munkee915

Reaction score
looking into building a wort chiller. my idea was first an immersion style chiller, then looked into a CF chiller. my only issue is that the ground water in here is pretty warm (80-90*) so it doesnt seem like that alone would do it. i was brainstorming on how to cool the water down further and came up with 2 ideas.

1. Drop the wort back in the MLT (after cleaining of course, would also help filter a bit further in this step) and run the through copper tubing in an ice bath, out of the bottom of the bucket and into the fermenter.

2. Run the water from the hose through the ice bath before passing it up to the CF wort chiller. Although this would be the more expensive option requiring me to build the full CF chiller AND an additional copper coil to chill the hose water.

pics for example:
zlvmvq.jpg

thoughts?

80 to 90 degrees? Yeesh! Yes, you definitely could do with some pre-chilling.

I would make the one on the right.

I just lucked out and got 45ft of copper for $20 at HD! Looks like i'll be going w/ design 2 after all. I'm thinking 25ft for the wort chiller and 10ft coil to pre chill the water. Saving the last 5-10ft to build a sparge arm in my MLT lid and maybe a few other experiments.

Back