Building a cider press from old parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonos7

Reaction score
I just bought a old cider press in parts I would guess that its close to 60 or 80 years old I have most of the parts its really big the basket will hold around 15-20 gallons. Does anyone know of a site that could help me identify it or that has plans for me to fab them back together? I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
thanks

These are the parts that I got, It also came with a very old house jack that he said the guy before him used it looks like it might work ok for the screw part of the press

cider press 004.jpg

cider press 005.jpg

cider press 006.jpg

cider press 007.jpg

Nice find. Looks like quality workmanship from the days when things were built to last. You seem to have a pretty serious piece of machinery that I would categorize as 'industrial' in terms of output.

That two stage apple scratter seems to be missing the hopper(s?) but that can be made relatively easily.

The pressing basket is missing the frame and the plunger.

Nice find. Looks like quality workmanship from the days when things were built to last. You seem to have a pretty serious piece of machinery that I would categorize as 'industrial' in terms of output.

That two stage apple scratter seems to be missing the hopper(s?) but that can be made relatively easily.

The pressing basket is missing the frame and the plunger.

I was thinking that one set was for grapes and one for apples I looked closer at them and they look like they were made by different people. I do have the hopper though might take a new chunk wood here or there.

I really want to find some pics to narrow down how I'm going to build it up.

Back