BUI mistakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatVideoKid

Reaction score
Last night I was brewing under the influence, doing an partial boil extract batch. It was an American Amber. So here's the mistake...I don't think I topped it up enough! It looks a little low, around 4.5gal instead of 5.

What can I expect from this? A little higher gravity brew and some stronger flavor I would guess.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Not going to top it up as fermentation is now well under way.

The difference will be fairly minimal. Yeah a bit higher gravity on both ends and a little higher abv. Flavor will be close. It'll still be an American Amber.

Thanks, luckily that was the only mistake I made! Other than dropping in US-04 instead of 05...thought basement was cooler than it is. Last beer, a month ago, fermented around 62, this one is going around 68 so it might not be as clean as I would have hoped.

Dude, I've made WAY bigger mistakes than that! Don't sweat it.

-ben

Tell Ben, tell!! LOL Newbies like me would like to know. This way we can have an idea of the different types of mistakes one can make while brewing... ;-)

Plus, isn't an unspoken rule to be drinking a beer (preferably a homebrew) while brewing?!?!?! Haha

Tell Ben, tell!! LOL Newbies like me would like to know. This way we can have an idea of the different types of mistakes one can make while brewing... ;-)

Plus, isn't an unspoken rule to be drinking a beer (preferably a homebrew) while brewing?!?!?! Haha

It's a spoken rule for me to NOT drink a beer until I'm cleaning up. I've had my share of BUIs, I'm done with that.

Due to the effects of alcohol, I partially froze my yeast starter on Saturday. It's going well now though.

You should still be able to top up your beer if you want to - many breweries top up after fermentation (use cool boiled water).

Latest posts

Back