Buckwheat/cherry melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shine0n

Reaction score
3 lbs/1 quart buckwheat honey
3 quarts water
QA23 5g/1 packet
4G Fermaid O sna, 1g at 24, 48 and 72 hours and last on 1/3 sugar depletion if needed.
Degas twice a day for the first 5 days and ALWAYS before adding the nutes.
1 tsp bentonite (dry) in primary after 24 hours while degassing.

I ferment this at 65°f and do so in a 2 gallon bucket to keep safe from of foaming while degassing and adding nutrient. You'll be happy you do too!)

Once you reach 2/3 sugar depletion add 1 quart tart cherry juice, I used R.W. KNUDSEN just tart cherry. My god this stuff is tart!!!

Since i ferment in buckets for primary i cant see the lees at the bottom so i rely on my hydrometer for seeing steady drop in sg and when its steady for 5 days i stabilize and transfer to glass for aging and i also like sparkaloid hot mix for clearing.

Once its nice and clear in secondary i transfer off the fine lees into a bucket for back sweetening, tannin additions and acid blending etc. etc.

Back sweetening will haze it up so give it a few days or better to drop clear and then bottle. I like mine at 1.015 ish for my personal taste but adjust to your liking.

A little funky, semi sweet cherry flavored melomel. Its not a cherry bomb so if you want to add more juice or cherries to get that....feel free but this is pretty good.

Buckwheat honey has kinda a, uh, well, let's call it "barnyard" aroma to it. Does it still have that after it has fermented, or does it transform into some other aroma?

Its there to a degree but not up front punch you in the mouth.
I guess you could say its an acquired taste. Lol

i did a pure buckwheat traditional and there's some complexity-not-all-of-which-is-pleasant in the nose from it, but the taste is surprisingly quite clean.

I sampled today and its definitely getting some sweet cherries later.

Latest posts

Back