Buckets and keg sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth Collier

Reaction score
Hi, guys i currently keg. I have just a question I belive i have over sanitised my bucket and keg. After I transfered my wort in to my keg I pour a pint looks perfect i get a chemical after taste. Will this budge after time sat. Can you over sanitise and could I have contaminated the stout with sanitiser. What do you guy think. Am I best off pouring away and doing again or waiting?

Gareth

Attachments

• 20220219_213621.jpg
    20220219_213621.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220219_213643.jpg
    20220219_213643.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220219_213712.jpg
    20220219_213712.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
What do you use as a sanitizing agent?
Also, are you using municipal water supply for your brewing?
Finally, could you describe the taste as "band-aid"? Or something more like a "solvent"?

Cheers!

Thanks fir the message I got the sanitiser from home brew shop powder form 35kg tub if I remember. I would'nt say its was a harsh take at all just a gentle but not a nice taste. More of a band aid take them a solvent. I always make sure there is no bacteria I do not like the lid and air lock tight always and keep at steady temperatures. Thanks

Is the sanitizer chlorine based? If so, how well did you rinse out everything it touched? There's a reason why the majority use Five Star sanitizers (Starsan for one). No rinse needed and no chlorine in it.

Look up 'beer off flavors' and bookmark the pages. ;)

This is the cleaner I use its powder based. Could this e the problem starsan may have to get some of that. I belive I did not rise well at all afterwards and used too much. Hope this has not ruined the beer. Gutted thanks for help

Attachments

• 16455699101374572979086118252817.jpg
    16455699101374572979086118252817.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
Are you sure it’s a chemical taste and not extract twang or general sharpness from the beer being green?

The listed directions to fully rinse after letting sit for 10 minutes would indicate that it's a chlorine based solution. If not completely rinsed from the items, it will give you the stated bandaid flavors.

@Gareth Collier I'd get some Starsan for future sanitizing use (read/follow instructions). I use PBW to clean, and Starsan to sanitize my gear (cold side/post boil).

I agree with using a no-rinse sanitizer like Five Star "Star San".
The notion of a "sanitizer" that requires substantial rinsing seems like a contradiction :)
At the least I would switch off from using the current powder and use something else to see if that was actually the problem...

Cheers!

The Internet says that VWP Sterilizer is sodium hydroxide (cleaner) and chlorine (the killer). If not rinsed well, this could definitely be the source of your chemical taste.

Yes I have had this taste before many times, good cleaner just a nightmare to rinse. fed up of this tase now, I believe this is the problem. I have order another st peters cream stout. If the one in the keg dose not not improve i will throw and make another batch and will rinse the keg. Using this product do you know if this is any good. And dose this really mean no rinse after use does this work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemispher...efix=chemsan+no+rinse+sanitizer,aps,89&sr=8-1
If this is no good what do you guys recommend that is no rinse?

Many Thanks

Gareth

Looks like it's the same as Starsan which is a great no rinse sanitizer. It does foam a bit, but it won't hurt anything. When the foam is too much in my fermenter I just add more liquid sanitizer and pour it back out taking most of the foam with it.

Back