BSC-460 options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin509

Reaction score
Looking to move beyond PIDs for a bit more control and data recording but Brewtroller is too DIY for me and looking at the BSC-460 it seems that it requires a fair amount of knowledge to program processes. And if I'm not mistaken you loose what you've done if you update the firmware. Any other options out there? Not looking for valve automation etc as I like to have some control still. Mainly time and temp control.

I like the web interface of the BCS-460 but it seems not much has been done to advance the iPhone and Android apps for it...kinda like the developer gave up. That worries me as a lot of tech stuff dies when developer's interest fizzles out.

Have had a BCS for about 2 years now and have had no issues with it. Firmware updates are a breeze and I don't loose anything as you can backup your processes and import them after you upgrade. Processes do not require a degree in programming to build and I would gather that if you have figured out a PID then you can easily program the BCS. Never looked at anything for android or iphone so I can't help you there, but the actual developer of the BCS software makes continual updates (usually 3+ releases a year) and is very active on the BCS forums.

Have had a BCS for about 2 years now and have had no issues with it. Firmware updates are a breeze and I don't loose anything as you can backup your processes and import them after you upgrade. Processes do not require a degree in programming to build and I would gather that if you have figured out a PID then you can easily program the BCS. Never looked at anything for android or iphone so I can't help you there, but the actual developer of the BCS software makes continual updates (usually 3+ releases a year) and is very active on the BCS forums.

Thanks for the input, trying to get a grasp on the BCS-460 before taking the plunge and redoing my panel. Do you backup the processes to your computer before firmware upgrade?

BCS is pretty easy peasy. You can over engineer it if you desire, but why?

Really considering the BCS-460 as its web based and it's doesn't matter that it's being used on a Mac. The brewtroller can be stand alone but beyond that requires a PC for further development. And when you price out the systems the BCS is actually cheaper. Just wish it had some simple calculator function to do your strike and sparge water temps and volume calculations or better yet import the data from Promash or Brewmaster, at least times and temps

Thanks for the input, trying to get a grasp on the BCS-460 before taking the plunge and redoing my panel. Do you backup the processes to your computer before firmware upgrade?

Yes I do... I also have built multiple mash profiles/times/etc so I can simply load my program an go. The BCS definitely makes you learn your system inside and out before you can really dial it in, so make sure your processes are sound and well documented before you start as it makes things much easier.

Back