Bru'n Water water volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunz

Reaction score
I recently brewed a batch using Bru'n Water to calculate the salt additions needed for the profile I was aiming for. The estimated mash ph using the adjusted water was too low so I switched to the unadjusted water and the estimate was spot on. I then waited until I had my final pre-boil volume (9 gal) to recalculate the additions by entering 9 gallon in the sparge water field and added them directly to the boil kettle. Does this seem like the correct approach?

While this seems correct to get the proper PPMs for 9 gallons pre-boil, my post-boil volume was about 6.5 gallons. If only water leaves during the boil would it be better to calculate the kettle additions based on a post boil volume? Did I overshoot my target PPMs because I calculated based on 9 gallons but only had 6.5 gallons post boil?

Since the spreadsheet is designed to calculate additions to mash and sparge water, i would say you add based on pre-boil volume (mash volume plus sparge volume = pre-boil, sort of).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back