bru n water malt profiles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussie brewer

Reaction score
does anyone know what Vienna malt is classified as in bru n water?
also does bru n water account for boiloff with the mineral profile? cheers

By standardizing on the ionic content of the raw water...just like in the old days before brewers knew anything about water mineral content and adding minerals for brewing, it simplifies the calculation. This is true for typical brewing where around 10 percent of the original water volume is lost to evaporation. Its only when a brewer is loosing substantially more of the original volume to evaporation that mineral concentration becomes a concern.

So no, Bru'n Water does not account for the concentrating effect of a boil.

By standardizing on the ionic content of the raw water...just like in the old days before brewers knew anything about water mineral content and adding minerals for brewing, it simplifies the calculation. This is true for typical brewing where around 10 percent of the original water volume is lost to evaporation. Its only when a brewer is loosing substantially more of the original volume to evaporation that mineral concentration becomes a concern.

So no, Bru'n Water does not account for the concentrating effect of a boil.

It’s not a very heavy lift, code wise. You would just need an extra row and use the post boil volume to calculate.

I'm curious as to why accounting for boiloff mineral content would be of concern? I say this because in previous threads we agreed the amount of strike water added to the mash, as in mash thickness, has a minimal effect on alkalinity or pH.

I'm curious as to why accounting for boiloff mineral content would be of concern? I say this because in previous threads we agreed the amount of strike water added to the mash, as in mash thickness, has a minimal effect on alkalinity or pH.

Mostly because we are dealing in Excel and it's easy to track so why not do it. As an example, let's use Ca and Cl content:

Say I strike with 28.77 liters in a no-sparge mash. My source water has 35.9 ppm Ca and and 30.64 Cl. I supplement with 2 g of Anhydrous CaCl.

My Pre-boil concentrations are 61 ppm Ca and 75 ppm Cl. My finished (Post-boil) concentrations, with 10% boil-off, are 65.81 Ca and 80.96 Cl.

Now jack it up to 15%, which I'd venture to say is probably close to standard for the average user, and those numbers become 68.11 for Ca and 83.79 for Cl.

Huge deal? Depends on the brewer but if you are using Excel anyway, why wouldn't you just track it?

For Martin, it would be as simple as making a new row under Row 15. Row 15 isn't actually the finished water profile, it's just the pre-boil water profile. If a user input for boil-off was added (it's shown , the new code becomes:

=(Pre-Boil Concentration (ppm)*SUM(Strike,Sparge))/(SUM(Strike,Sparge)-(Boil-Off))

which could then be dragged across the row.

Now notice the line, "For Martin, it would be as simple..." and chuckle to yourself, especially if you are like me and you do your stuff in Excel, at how flippantly I toss that line off...;););)

@RPIScotty thank you for the explanation. I think I understand now. This would be helpful for brewers interested in predicting their post boil mineral concentrations, or flavor seasonings as some would say.

@RPIScotty thank you for the explanation. I think I understand now. This would be helpful for brewers interested in predicting their post boil mineral concentrations, or flavor seasonings as some would say.

The heavy lifting is already done to predict and estimate the mash concentrations. All your doing is accounting at that point.

cheers Scotty, that's what I was thinking. My boiloff rate is almost 30% for a 3.5 gal batch! I was planning on reducing the salt additions by 30% to reach the right concentrations in the fermenter

cheers Scotty, that's what I was thinking. My boiloff rate is almost 30% for a 3.5 gal batch! I was planning on reducing the salt additions by 30% to reach the right concentrations in the fermenter

You should reduce the heat input. No need to boil off that much.

Back