Brown Nut Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songman

Reaction score
Started a Brown Nut Ale 3 weeks ago. It's been in the secondary for 2 weeks. The odd thing is it started getting a layer of bubbles on the top of it a couple days ago and started bubbling again. Should I let it continue until it stops before I bottle it. I took a gravity reading this morning and it was 1.012 and a taste of it seems alright. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would think that you need to make sure the fermentation is complete before bottleing. You dont want any carb bombs going off. It won't hurt to leave it sit another week and take one more reading to see if the FG stayed the same or dropped some more.

The bubbles are most likely caused by CO2 escaping from solution. At 1.012 after two weeks, fermenation is probably complete. Most of the fermentation happens within the first few days. At this point, the risk of bottle bombs is pretty low.

Bubbling is not a good indicator of fermentation activity.

You're probably fine, but also another week wouldn't hurt if you can stand it. The only true way to know is 2 or 3 hydrometer tests, each a couple days apart. Good luck!

Thanks to all that responded. I think the general consensous is to leave it a week. I also believe it's just CO2 and it started to dissipate today, so bottling day will be Saturday. I have an Irish Red Ale that should be ready as well. Guess I'll be busy this coming weekend. Life is Good. May the Peace be with you all.

Once again,
Thanks

I started off leaving my beer for 3 weeks so that the yeast can go back and "clean up" after themselves. Now I've added a week to that.

I give wheat and blonde's 3 weeks, most ales 4 weeks, and IPA's 5 weeks. I also added a week to conditioning time. They all get 4 weeks. And then fridge time has gone from 3 to 7 days.

I did this because I've had a couple of beers out of many change taste a little from the first few to the next, which was roughly a week. And it certainly won't hurt it.

I have a Nut Brown Ale Kit in my fridge, plan on boiling it up today. Gotta clean my boil pot as I boiled up 3 Maine lobsters in it last night

Latest posts

Back