Broke my last airlock and had to get creative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captn_rob

Reaction score
20211030_110106.jpg

So…what happens when your kid wants their fancy theme park straw back?

That is great re-use by the way. Assuming you’ve got some Star San or something sitting in those loops?
He has two lol he drew the line at cutting it.
Water in the loops. I figured it would work like a S style airlock. Only temporary until my Amazon order comes.

Unfortunately airlocks break as you are completing the final step inserting an aged airlock into a bung, best thing to do is order a couple locks as you order chems and yeasts. Chems can expire as winemaking time flies.

Oddly enough, the only one I've had break was a 3 piece. After that snapped on the second use, I tossed the rest and pulled out the old S-types I have and haven't gone back.

I learned the hard way how penny wise and pound foolish I was to keep using old airlocks, bungs and spigots. Now I toss them every ~5-6 batches.

I'd love to get my hands on a vintage glass double bubble airlock, I would keep that forever.

Edit: Oh hey they still make glass airlocks!! Woohoo!

Last edited:
I haven't used an airlock in almost two years now. Fermenting under pressure from the start via spunding valves (have ones for the conicals as well as kegmenters). IF I want to do a small batch (under 7 gallons starting volume) I'll use one of the kegmenters I still have. That would be for any small mead batches I make. My next planned batch of mead will be using one of the conical fermenters.

I need to go through the old item container and toss out the airlocks there. Most are from around 2011, so probably not good to use even IF I wanted to. Assorted bungs in the same container are going to get tossed.

Back