British Half-Pint Tradition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBobb

Reaction score
A buddy of mine says there is a tradition at certain British pubs where you order a pint and it is served in two half-pint glasses. He didn't think to ask why when he was there. Any of you folks know why that is?

Thanks!

There is a very traditional German pub here in my town, and they have 1/2 pints of all of their beers on the menu.

I've never heard of the two 1/2 pint thing, though.

Yeah, he ordered one pint and was served two half-pints, and this happened everytime he ordered a beer.

Wow, I lived in England for 8 years and never seen a half pint glass in a pub. The only time I ever saw one was at the end of the Guinness brewery tour in Ireland. I assumed it was for people who were unsure if they were going to like it or not (it really does taste different at the brewery).

I like to think I've done my fair share of 'research' of drinking in pubs across the UK and never seen that. Do you know where he was? It sounds like the barman playing jokes on the tourists to pass the time.

Best one I heard was the landlord in Manchester that managed to persuade a visitor that he had an undersea pipe connected directly between his Guinness tap and the brewery in Dublin.

The halfer is traditionally for chicks. Same goes for ordering a drink that requires a straw or little umbrella. Sounds like someone was playing a joke on your buddy.

My wife would order a half pint for her second round instead of another full pint, but I was never offered one. Almost every pub we went to during 7 years of living in the UK would do halfers.

I have been to places in the US that do half pints for IIPA or other high ABV beers, but that's not the UK standard.

Only time I've heard of anyone getting a half-pint in a pub is in the book I'm reading, "Beyond Belfast" by William Ferguson. Of course, he was doing a long-distance hike across Northern Ireland and (at the time) in a very hostile pub, so he probably had his reasons :p

Back