Brewpipp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erroneous

Reaction score
So I decided to remake the great Brewpi project in C++. I'm currently calling it Brewpipp. I have a few reasons for doing this:
  1. Brewpi was written in Python 2 which is not compatible with Python 3
  2. Brewpi is dropping support for Arduino in favor of the more expensive spark system
  3. Brewpi is pretty tied in to Raspian if you don't want to fix a bunch of stuff
  4. I want a system that is cross platform (compiles in Linux, Mac, Windows) for the web server component
  5. Uses databases for storage (I plan on using ODBC which can also be configured for SQLite)
  6. Has user authentication and configurable privileges (i.e., readonly access for anonymous user but full access for logged in user)
  7. Uses TLS for communication between networked components (except serial communication of course)
  8. Uses Raspberry Pi's built in IO instead of Arduino if it isn't needed (might just use Fuscus project)
  9. Multi chamber support
  10. Alarm alerts via email
  11. (Possibly long way down the road) Brewbug support

I've got a github for the project at https://github.com/Erroneous1/brewpipp. I only get to work on it maybe an hour a day and a little more on the weekends so I don't expect it to be done soon. If there are features you'd like to see, let me know. If you'd like to help, that'd be great!

--Edit Updated goals with alarms, Brewbug, and Fuscus

Good Luck!

One thing that you might want to look into is a way to display and track the beers you have in the beer fridge. So you would have an icon for taps and bottles and a way to track the pours and bottle counts.

Not to kill your project or anything but Please PM user ame here on HBT. He already has a project that he has started in Python 3 and already has a lot of stuff working and I and DayTrippr are working with him to get it built up and tested. Rather than replicating work more development help and ideas which would always be appreciated i think on the existing project.

He hasnt announced anything yet because a lot of testing is still required and its very rough around the edges missing some features people will want.

https://github.com/andrewerrington/fuscus

Interesting, I actually did a patch to get brewpi-scripts to work in Python 3 (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/brewpi-script/. I'm not a python programmer so I don't know that it fully works, but I know it hasn't had any errors in the process of programming an arduino, modifying settings, and controlling a fridge for several months.

Looks like if nothing else I should integrate with that project for the native Pi controller. I know programming Pi tends to be focussed on Python so it makes sense to use it for the controller aspects. Still, Brewpipp is more about replacing the brewpi-www and brewpi-scripts projects. Ideally it will be compatible with serial communication on the Arduino firmware or Fuscus project.

Similar but it doesn't look like it tracks cans or bottles. For me, I only have a two tap kegerator but I do have a beer fridge out in the garage. Something that would allow me to track what's in there would be helpful. Or when people come over and ask "Whata got?" I can point to the display.

Similar but it doesn't look like it tracks cans or bottles. For me, I only have a two tap kegerator but I do have a beer fridge out in the garage. Something that would allow me to track what's in there would be helpful. Or when people come over and ask "Whata got?" I can point to the display.

I'll keep this in mind as a far flung thing to do, but inventory management systems already exist (though I've never used one).

"Feature Creep".

It's my life story...

Cheers! ;)

The plan is to figure out what features I'll want to implement before I come out with version 1. Version 0 will be brewpi functionality, but some features--like multi chamber support--should be set up in the data structures before then.

Back