Brewing my first batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMTnew2brew

Reaction score
So, I brewed my first batch on Friday, it's a black IPA, now I have a few questions, I was impatient and instead if buying a proper airlock, I just used a balloon, which seems to be doing the job, is this going to effect the flavor of the beer? I'm keeping it in my garage while it ferments, which is fairly dark, does light have any effect? I have about 7 days til I have to transfer into a clean carboy and add dry hops, do I really need to transfer or can I just add the hops in the current container?

I also am not using a hydrometer, and in my inpatients I added the yeast at about 90-95 degrees instead of around 80 like the recipe said, is this bad? It seems to be coming along well enough, and it smells good

Can we see a picture of this balloon Air Lock? Does the temperature in the garage drop at night? If it does you might want to bring it inside.

It would seem to me that the balloon is a bad idea unless it has some way to release some of the carbon dioxide that begins building. Eventually the balloon will fill enough that it will either blow-off the fermenter or just plain rupture.

Your garage is fine as long as the temperature remains within the range of the yeast strain that you are using.
Light does play a role during fermentation, it causes "skunky" flavors.

The going philosophy as far as secondary fermentation is only if you are dry hopping or adding fruit or oak chips.
It is up to you whether you move it or not.

Never heard of anyone using a balloon before, may want to get some vinyl tubing and make a quick blow off tube (one end in water the other attached to your carboy/bucket.

I wouldn't worry about pitching yeast at a warmer temp, I've done it a number of times and things turn out fine, may get a few off flavors but you'll still end up with a good beer.

Finally I would recommend racking to a secondary if you're dry hopping

Garage should be ok as long as temp is pretty steady. I bottled my first batch and set them in my garage at around 50. Whoops! The yeast weren't carbing after the first week. I had to bring them into the house to get them going again.

Also, I have read varying things on dry hopping in a secondary. I have read alot of folks just adding it to the primary. I will probably do that as well because i only have 1 carboy. Gonna try my first dryhop in a few weeks.

image-2227799186.jpg

I have poked a dozen or so pin holes on the top of the ballon for the CO2 to escape

70-80 is a bit warm. I'd suggest putting it in a water bath to help keep the temp down closer to 70 or under if possible

I agree. Mine turned exothermic on days 3-5. You want to keep is below 70 if possible. I have a big wash tub i keep mine in.

Back