Brewing first NEIPA questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsccorpio227

Reaction score
Hi. I am planning to brew my first NEIPA and have a few questions to get the process down. I did some reading and almost everybody said not to keep hops for more than 4 days during dry hopping. I found a recipe on Brewfather that calls dry hopping on day 3 and 7 days.So I got a couple of questions:

1. What do you use or how do you get the bag after 1st dry hopping (have Fermzilla all-rounder)
2. It calls for hops 7 days prior to kegging, should I do dry hopping for 7 days or keg it after 5 days?

TIA

After fermentation is done and diacetyl rest is done, if you can soft crash for a day or 2 and drop the yeast out, do that. Then let it come back up to 55f and dry hop at that temp for 3 days, then cold crash, then package. If you can push co2 into the fermenter while you dry hop to help avoid oxygen exposure definitely do that and purge it a few times after hops are in. Avoiding oxygen cold side is the most important thing with this style.

After fermentation is done and diacetyl rest is done, if you can soft crash for a day or 2 and drop the yeast out, do that. Then let it come back up to 55f and dry hop at that temp for 3 days, then cold crash, then package. If you can push co2 into the fermenter while you dry hop to help avoid oxygen exposure definitely do that and purge it a few times after hops are in. Avoiding oxygen cold side is the most important thing with this style.
All-rounder doesn't let you drop the yeast. How do you pull previous hops while trying to keep exposure to oxygen to a minimum?

Right, so the idea of adding hops during fermentation to achieve biotransfermation has since gone to the wayside, though some ppl still use this approach. You will have enough hop content in your wort from the whirlpool additions to achieve that, so the dayb2 addition is kinda a waste imho.. that's why I wouldn't bother with that addition and add them all at the end. If you decide to add them as the recipe calls for then just leave them in, it would be to hard to pull them without letting oxygen in. Maybe there is a way but I don't know of one. If you can close transfer to a separate vessel that would be an option, some ppl use a "dry hop keg" that they transfer to.

Right, so the idea of adding hops during fermentation to achieve biotransfermation has since gone to the wayside, though some ppl still use this approach. You will have enough hop content in your wort from the whirlpool additions to achieve that, so the dayb2 addition is kinda a waste imho.. that's why I wouldn't bother with that addition and add them all at the end. If you decide to add them as the recipe calls for then just leave them in, it would be to hard to pull them without letting oxygen in. Maybe there is a way but I don't know of one. If you can close transfer to a separate vessel that would be an option, some ppl use a "dry hop keg" that they transfer to.
thank you for your help

I am planning to brew my first NEIPA and have a few questions to get the process down.
My suggestion would be to adapt the recipe to fit your equipment and what processes you have used in the past for dry hopping. There are a number of different processes that people follow for brewing NEIPAs. The recipe you linked is a little vague on the process ("Dry hop at high krausen for 24 hours. 2nd dry hop is at cold crash") and there is no indication to what type of equipment the brewer uses. I would think that "for 24 hours" indicates the initial hops were removed, but I am not sure. Dry hopping on day 2 and 10, vs another schedule will not radically change the outcome.

The recipe calls for 6 oz of dry hops. In my experience, up to around 6 oz of dry hops is fairly easy to manage, well at least with my (fairly simple) equipment and the ability to cold crash. I have had good luck adding all my dry hops after fermentation is complete for about 2 days, then cold crashing. People with more advanced fermenters might dump yeast and dump hop additions or might have ways to rouse the hops.

Overall, that looks like a decent NEIPA recipe.

My suggestion would be to adapt the recipe to fit your equipment and what processes you have used in the past for dry hopping. There are a number of different processes that people follow for brewing NEIPAs. The recipe you linked is a little vague on the process ("Dry hop at high krausen for 24 hours. 2nd dry hop is at cold crash") and there is no indication to what type of equipment the brewer uses. I would think that "for 24 hours" indicates the initial hops were removed, but I am not sure. Dry hopping on day 2 and 10, vs another schedule will not radically change the outcome.

The recipe calls for 6 oz of dry hops. In my experience, up to around 6 oz of dry hops is fairly easy to manage, well at least with my (fairly simple) equipment and the ability to cold crash. I have had good luck adding all my dry hops after fermentation is complete for about 2 days, then cold crashing. People with more advanced fermenters might dump yeast and dump hop additions or might have ways to rouse the hops.

Thank you for the suggestion. As I mentioned this will be my first NEIPA so I am not sure what works and what doesn't. I found a small freezer and trying to build a fermentation chamber out of it.

Yes it does.

From the BrewFather recipe, be aware of different (irregular) timings in the recipe/brew instructions, such as this one:
  • 1 oz (14 IBU) — Citra 14.5% — Boil — 9 min
These are your bittering hops.
That means you'd still boil the wort 45-60', but add those bittering hops at 9 minutes (before flameout).

Immediately after flameout, chill to 165F, at which temp you add your whirlpool/hopstand hops:
  • 1.75 oz (6 IBU) — Citra 14.5% — Aroma — 20 min hopstand @ 165 °F
  • 1.75 oz (6 IBU) — Galaxy 16% — Aroma — 20 min hopstand @ 165 °F
  • 1.75 oz (4 IBU) — Nectaron 9.8% — Aroma — 20 min hopstand @ 165 °F

I brewed IPA last year but from concentrate and it called for 2 oz dry hop 7 days prior to kegging. I didn't do closed transfer.
I wouldn't recommend attempting an NEIPA until you are sure your keg purge and closed transfer processes are dialed in. Without these in place your beer will have a shelf life of only days before it goes downhill noticeably. Best to do your process learning on beers that aren't loaded up with expensive hops.

Brew on :mug:

I wouldn't recommend attempting an NEIPA until you are sure your keg purge and closed transfer processes are dialed in. Without these in place your beer will have a shelf life of only days before it goes downhill noticeably. Best to do your process learning on beers that aren't loaded up with expensive hops.

Also as you dial in that process think about how a crap ton of hops is going to change the process when you get to the NEIPA. I just moved my first NEIPA to a serving keg last night. I had done a practice run with a simple blonde ale that went well. Part Murphy's law part lots of hops the NEIPA did not go well at all.

Transfer from the fermenter to the dry hop keg went pretty well but when I started adding the hops I realized I had way to much beer in the keg to fit the hops in. I was flowing in CO2 which added some mess. Probably had half the hops floating on top and sitting there thinking how then heck am I going to get some beer out of here. Finally found my wine thief and used it to get enough out. I finally got it closed and purged it several times but definitely was exposed to oxygen for a while.

Last night I decided to transfer to the serving keg even though I hadn't cold crashed. I knew better but for some reason my brain said "I'm just putting it into the keezer cold anyway why not just transfer it first". I got about 4 gallons transferred and the strainer on my floating dip tube plugged. I tried back flowing CO2 through it etc and got a bit more, but eventually just gave up at 4 ish gallons.

In the end I went into this one saying I'll be happy if 1) I brew an NEIPA that tastes good for a few days (smelled amazing so I'm hopeful there) and 2) I learn enough I'm confident in process the next time. I pretty much killed my 5# CO tank in the process last night though so haven't started carbing so things are still TBD. I thought I would at least share so maybe can learn from my experience.

The same way I can try to do the closed transfer using my Fermzilla and a keg with water inside to make sure it is dialed. I can pressure fermzilla and try to transfer it

Do you really need rice hulls in that?

I don’t know anything about African Queen hops tbh so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

I’d go lower on the IBUs in the boil. Less than 40 at least.

Dry hop idk if you get that much more from two doses as long as you can shake or rouse the hops. I also think you’re light on the dry hood. I might be confused thinking in grams not ounces but I would probably through 4x that amount in

Latest posts

Back