Brewing and Burgers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarawa

Reaction score
I think that cooking, baking and brewing go hand in hand. My wife is an excellent cook and baker. I cook , bake ,tinker (and amatuer brewer). Watching TV shows about burgers and BBQ always get me thinking. What really got me going was a show about the (alleged) first burger invented in Connecticut at Louis' Lunch. They use antique vertical broilers to cook their burgers from both sides at once. After watching the show, I had to have one. Well, that is easier said than done being that the broilers were made in 1800's. Here is my rendition of the vertical broiler. It works so well and a fairly cheap set up. Start with a Big Easy "oiless" turkey fryer from Big Lotts ($50.00) or Home Depot ($70.00), a burger grilling basket at any cooking or bbq store ($15.00) and a couple of stainless steel kabob skewers. Now you have a veryical broiler. Bake some Portuguese rolls and you have the best (healthiest) burger.

burger.jpg

burger buns.jpg

burger yum.jpg

Looks good! How about posting the recipe for the Portuguese Rolls? I don't yet have a good recipe for hamburger buns.

Pretty sweet build!

I live five minutes from Louis' Lunch, and have to say I have only gone once. That was a few years ago. I need to get back to give it another try. Wasn't what I was expecting.

Here is a good starting point for the Portuguese rolls. I am still working on the recipe to my liking. I actually prefer the Portuguese rolls that BJ's Wholesale has, but we are now tweaking the recipe for better results. To get good results these recepes are very time consuming.

http://portuguesebreads.blogspot.com/2012/07/papo-secos-crusty-rolls-recipe-and.html

Try this dough recipe to make rolls. It is so easy, that it is embarassing to think of all the time I have wasted getting perferct bread. Youtube has great videos on this also.

http://www.steamykitchen.com/168-no-knead-bread-revisited.html

Pretty sweet build!

I live five minutes from Louis' Lunch, and have to say I have only gone once. That was a few years ago. I need to get back to give it another try. Wasn't what I was expecting.

I just like the ideal of cooking from both sides. Seals in all the flavor.....grease drips away with absolutely no flare-ups.
I am working on a dedicated (gas) vertical broiler now.

Very cool! Nice improvisation/DIY. (George Forman, eat your heart out!) And thanks for sharing the recipes for the rolls, I'm not much of a baker, but I might just give these a try; I'll have to grill up some super special burgers to put on them.
Regards, GF.

Hmmm.... I would think that with just a few mods/additions to that rig you could do your own gyros....

Or try some of my Spent Grain Pretzel Rolls. After sparging your grains from PM or AG,be sure they're well drained. Set oven to 200F,& spread spent grains on cooky sheets with low sides. Arrange on oven racks,turning them every couple hours till it's obvious they're well dried.
I use a MR Coffee burr grinder (Walmart $39) to grind my dried spent grains into a medium fine flour on the Espresso setting. Here's the recipe;
*Spent Grain Pretzel Buns*
2-3C warm water (I used 2C,but 3C would make a softer dough)
2 packets of dry yeast
5C of regular flour
1C spent grain flour (I used grains from my Maori IPA)
2TBSP sugar
2tsp course sea (kosher) salt
**For the boil;
5C water
1/12oz bottle home brewed beer
1/4C baking soda (gives pretzel texture)
Makes 12 buns
4) Remove dough from mixer & form into a ball & put in oiled mixing bowl (I use peanut oil),turning to coat both sides. Cover with towel & rise 30 minutes.
5) Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface & kneed 1 minute. Shape dough like a thick pancake. cut into 4ths,then cut each 4th into 3 equal pieces. This will give 12 pieces. Shape into balls liek rounded mushroom caps. For best results,do not leave any folds,as they'll open up like lava flows as they rise again. Place on oiled baking sheet,6 to a sheet evenly spaced apart. Score cross in top of each roll with very sharp knife. Cover & let rise till desired size is obtained. Actual rise time will vary.
6) Pre-heat oven to 425F. Bring water & beer to a boil,but before it boils,add the baking powder. This is best done in at least a 2 gallon pot. If you wait for it to boil before adding the baking powder,it'll give a crazy hot break.
7) When rolls have risen to desired size,use a slotted spoon to transfer the rolls into the boil,2 minutes per side. I did 3-4 at a time.
8) as they get done in the boil,transfer them to oiled sheet,scored side up. Immedietly Sprinkle course sea salt on top. Bake 12 minutes.
***Heres' what they looked like my 1st time making them;
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/PICT0001_zpsbd329434.jpg.html] [/URL]
They're chewy like soft pretzels,but easy to bite through. The also won't smash down while handing/eating. They stand up to condiments quite well. Look & taste like a light rye inside with a touch of malty sweetness.

I hope she decides to try them. They're great with pit bbq'd meat. And the flavor & color can change depending on the spent grain flower used. but that golden brown overtone will always be there.

Back