Brewing a Gose...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at doing a strawberry rhubarb gose for my next brew. I have the recipe built and ready to go. Roughly...

Pilsen 25%
2 Row 13.6%
White Wheat 60%
Acid Malt 1.4%
Rice Hulls .5lbs

1oz Saaz at 60 min for 12.7 IBU
1oz Coriander 10 min
.75oz Pink Himalayan Sea Salt 10 min

My question is yeast. Thinking of using WY1007 for this. Anyone used this in a gose? What's your thoughts on it?

Thanks.

I haven't used that strain but overall your recipe looks good to me.
You have so many flavors you don't need much yeast character.

You are sour mashing right? US05 worked well for me, but it's a slow starter in sour beers. Also TYB Voss Kveik has worked well for me in sours as it has a nice citrus / fruit flavor and ferments clean up to 100° which is perfect for summer and no temp control. I just used that yeast for a Raspberry Saison and I fermented it at 100° and they hydrometer sample tasted very good.

You are sour mashing right? US05 worked well for me, but it's a slow starter in sour beers. Also TYB Voss Kveik has worked well for me in sours as it has a nice citrus / fruit flavor and ferments clean up to 100° which is perfect for summer and no temp control. I just used that yeast for a Raspberry Saison and I fermented it at 100° and they hydrometer sample tasted very good.

I think I'm just doing a kettle sour for this one, but I'll kill the souring at about 3.5 pH or so, so that it'll be recognizable as a gose.

With the exception of the fruit, I was trying to stick to a more traditional gose and use a more traditional yeast for the style. US05 I've been using in all my kettle sours but I want to switch it up a bit. I appreciate the recommendation for Voss Kveik. I will keep that in mind for other brews as it sounds interesting.

Back