Brewhouse Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastbaybrewer

Reaction score
What are you getting for your brewhouse efficiency. I am getting 67% and use to always try to get it higher, but now I happy as is. Beers are tasting great and grain is cheap.

I was at 60-65%. I bought a mill and grind my own grain now. Since I did that, I'm up to 75-80%. I also started watching my mash pH closer. But I know a guy who is always around 60% and makes great beer. He says, like you, that grain is cheap. The main thing is that you are consistent and can plan accordingly.

I was at 60-65%. I bought a mill and grind my own grain now. Since I did that, I'm up to 75-80%. I also started watching my mash pH closer. But I know a guy who is always around 60% and makes great beer. He says, like you, that grain is cheap. The main thing is that you are consistent and can plan accordingly.

I had a similar experience. Was around 72%, then bought a grain mill and now I'm around 78%. I should probably start adjusting my recipes to compensate, but haven't bothered yet - I just end up with a few points more in starting gravity. As long as the beer tastes good I don't mind.

Cheers!

I was consistently running 61% with LHBS milled grain, my rectangular cooler MLT, bazooka screen and single batch sparge.

The last batch I switched to BIAB in my cooler w/o the bazooka, milled to just over .025 and a single batch sparge. I was expecting about 70%, got 71%.

I wanted to get up from 61% because I want to brew some big stouts and, given the drop in efficiency with large grain bills, I figured I might not be able to get there starting with 1.060 beers yielding 61%

I'm happy with the 71%...I can work with that.

I BIAB. 72% BHEff, with buying double milled grains. As long as it's consistent that's all I care about.

Example: I recently inherited 12# coarsely crushed grains, and while I expected lower efficiency, it surprised me at 64% when I used them. Live and learn.

Latest posts

Back