brewhardware/ bobbys rims tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size batches are you doing? The standard for 5-10 gallon batches is 3500-4500 elements, the standard for 15-25 gallon batches is 5500.

2000 at 220v will work, but it is going to take like 40-60 minutes to get to strike temp, then another 20-25 to boil. If you are going 220v anyway, I'd probably go with a 4500 stainless steel element or a 3500 non-SS if you're on a budget.

Good luck!

What we have here is failure to communicate. :cross:

From what I've read, most RIMS elements are 120V. Sometimes 240V elements run at 120V to make them ULWD. I'd just be looking for an element with the right pipe thread and the lowest watt density that will still fit in your tube.

So I've got a 4500's in the hlt and boil. I will be using the rims to keep the mash at temp. Which is why I'm looking for a smaller wattage element. I probably should have said this up front. Here is the control panel diagram.

ForumRunner_20131003_124606.png

I just used my brew hardware tube for the first time this weekend. Same 12" model as you. Worked great. Even ramped to mash out temp easily. I am doing 5gal batches and have a 240v/3500 element running off a 120v/20amp plug.

You do need to think about the length of the element and the temp probe. Bobby lays that math out on the website nicely.

I just used my brew hardware tube for the first time this weekend. Same 12" model as you. Worked great. Even ramped to mash out temp easily. I am doing 5gal batches and have a 240v/3500 element running off a 120v/20amp plug.

You do need to think about the length of the element and the temp probe. Bobby lays that math out on the website nicely.

I have been using the same 12" RIMS tube with 1500W 120V SS element for 4 5.5 gal batches now. Ramp up from 150F to 168F takes about 20min. I use 10gal cooler for MLT.

I do not believe there is a 3500W element short enough which can fit into 12" tube - figure 12" tube - 2" thermoprobe - 1" for spacing = 9" max for element.

If there is 3500W element under 9" exists in SS please let me know!

I do not believe there is a 3500W element short enough which can fit into 12" tube - figure 12" tube - 2" thermoprobe - 1" for spacing = 9" max for element.
No sure, but if there was, the watt density would be so high that you'd probably not be able to avoid scorching.

Latest posts

Back